WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Problem with Flash sound  (Read 6144 times)

Offline Steve

Problem with Flash sound
« on: October 27, 2012, 03:03:26 AM »
Hello,

I have just tried CorePlus for the first time and I'm very impressed at how fast it is even on ageing hardware. I'm really hoping to get to know it better and maybe even use the remaster tool to make my own derivative.

The one problem I had was Flash, I used the getFlash11 app to install it and at first it seemed to have worked, I could go to YouTube and I had vision and sound. However once I rebooted I could not get the sound to work again. I had also installed the OSS app and osstest successfully played music so I think it was just a Flash issue.

I tried running getFlash11 again but that didn't work, I then tried following the manual install instructions from the FAQ but still without success. Having said that I wasn't sure which folder was Firefox's 'plugins' folder so it's possible I was copying the shared libraries to the wrong place.

I used the self contained apps installer to install Firefox and left the install destination as the default. I had installed CorePlus and bootloader to the hard drive (there was no other OS on the computer).

If somebody could give me a walk through of how to get Flash running including the full path to Firefox's plugins folder I'd appreciate it.

Offline beerstein

Re: Problem with Flash sound
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 11:24:25 AM »
Ok this is old - but I have the same problem today. Mplayer works great and plays .mp4
Firefox 19 displays youtube movie but no sound. OSS and OSS-alsa installed.
osstest works also.

Can somebody help me here?

I have TCL 4.7.5 installed on a hd partition
t(w)o be(ers) or not t(w)o be(ers) that is the question

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2013, 01:39:47 AM »
If the video was played by Firefox (HTML5), not by Flash, you can't have OSS sound without a special FF build.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline beerstein

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2013, 02:08:06 AM »
Hi curaga, thank you for this:
I think the problem is HTML 5 and OSS related. From several older posts I learned that Firefox 11 and getFlash11.tcz were the last versions which worked with OSS. I also learned that Chromium browser does not support OSS too. I found that out because chromium does not work either.

So what do you recommend?
Should I uninstall all OSS related stuff (but then my mplayer does not work any more)
and install alsa?
Would alsa.tcz, alsaconf.tcz be enough or do I need more? May be there is an alsa mixer at the repo?

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2013, 02:27:25 AM »
Remove OSS*, install alsa.tcz.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2013, 02:59:22 AM »
mplayer should work if you install alsa-oss extension and run
Code: [Select]
aoss mplayer [...]
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2013, 10:47:58 AM »
Hi beerstein
May be there is an alsa mixer at the repo?
There is an  ncurses  based one that I think is included with  alsa.tcz  and a fancier one in  alsamixergui.tcz.

Offline beerstein

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2013, 11:17:21 AM »
Hi: Thank you so much for your help.
Here is what I did: I deleted all oss related extensions, deleted firefox 19. I think this beast was the problem. At the TCL 4.X repo I saw that there is a firefox10.tcz and a firefox17.tcz besides firefox.tcz
Then I installed alsa.tcz, alsaconf.tcz, alsamixergui.tcz and alsaplugins.tcz literally everything which smelled alsa. After that I installed Firefox10
I did not install getFlash again and I did not start it. I left everything else as is. After $alsoconf in command line the alsa test came out OK.
Then I started firefox - and see my favorite  Youtube clips played fine (video and sound)
To use the mplayer I installed gnome-mplayer.tcz - Now my mplayer also works great.

I assume that Firefox 19 and higher are not working with TCL 4.7X youtube clips. HTML5 may be one reason.
Any comments are welcome

Offline Misalf

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2013, 11:35:02 AM »
I don't know how far 4.7.5 is away from 4.7.7 but for me sound in flash11 worked with firefox 19 on 4.7.7 .
Download a copy and keep it handy: Core book ;)

Offline beerstein

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2013, 06:32:02 AM »
so - hmm -  flash11 also works with firefox19 . I did not try that out yet, but I will do so soon.

Offline Misalf

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2013, 07:48:30 AM »
I think the latest Firefox in the repo currently is 21.0 where sound in flash is working too.

Offline beerstein

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2013, 08:48:28 AM »
hi misalf: Which sound system are you using? OSS or alsa?
I discovered, when using alsa I have to start the alsa system after each reboot. Otherwise no sound.
Do I need to make the alsa configuration permanent?

Offline Misalf

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2013, 09:29:54 AM »
Oh, I didn't say I'm using ALSA.

--

Yes, apart from putting the start command in bootlocal.sh, you have to include  asound.state  to your backup.
Since ALSA has been updated though, the given info in the AppsBrowser seems to not being entirely correct anymore.

The locations were config is written and were it is read from are different.

I had to symlink  /var/lib/alsa/asound.state  to  /usr/local/etc/asound.state
And added both files to my backup.

I think anything else in the info from AppsBrowser is OK.