WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Xfbdev  (Read 2535 times)

Offline oldgit485

Xfbdev
« on: October 15, 2013, 01:58:56 AM »
Just installed 5.0.1 on thinkpad 600e slight problem with alsa but fixed when i realised asound.state now in var/lib/alsa
tried to install frame buffer again using wiki instructions but Xfbdev.tcz no longer in the repository noted the change to Xorg but cant work out how to get Xfbdev  any help appreciated
Thanks Oldgit

Offline curaga

• Administrator
Re: Xfbdev
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 02:32:24 AM »
You can download it from the 4.x repo and test if it works. Please let us know.

wget ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/metalab/distributions/tinycorelinux/4.x/x86/tcz/Xfbdev.tcz
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline oldgit485

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 04:03:44 AM »
Blimey what a quick response  thanks curaga will let you know.
Rgds oldgit :D

Offline oldgit485

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2013, 04:47:44 AM »
Downloaded Xfbdev.tcz from the link you gave and put it in tce/optional,then went into onboot maintenance and removed Xvesa and put Xfbdev in, restarted  and it appeared to start as it used to with framebuffer and the view of the google home page had  improved.If I look at 'installed' in control panel Stats it shows Xfbdev as installed. I wasn't 100% sure if frame buffer had been applied so went to 'exit to prompt' which is what I used to do to run xsetup.sh /startx and nothing happened,so this may have changed but I am happy that I have installed frame buffer and the display is certainly better.Thank you for your very hel :)pful and speedy response Curaga.
Anecdotaly I had a problem with XP SP3 and WHS2011 connector (both MS products) where .Net 4 broke windows update and it took MS about 2yrs to fix it with hundreds of posts complaining and you fix a problem within minutes Exceptional.
Rgds Oldgit

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2013, 07:56:29 AM »
Thanks, it is now available in the 5.x repo.

As we are a small team, we rely on the users to help these migrations - there are some ~4300 extensions in 4.x.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline oldgit485

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2013, 12:15:45 PM »
Hi curaga noticed you used opera for irc so thought I'd try it and used the full version to try out the irc node it worked well so decided to remove chromium-browser to save space and use opera as browser/irc client.However after removing it, on start up with frame buffer there is usually a momentary grainy grey hashed screen before the normal home screen, this persisted and the home screen did not appear.If I pressed the mouse button I could get the application box and select WBAR edit facility etc.I could get a command prompt so reinstalled chromium-browser.tcz using tce-load -wi chromium-browser.tcz and after rebooting all back to normal.To my Very limited knowledge removing chromium-browser must have removed a dependancy of Xfbdev,was that because I used a tcz that was not in the repo or do dependancies need to be looked at, there seemed to be an awful lot .
Now keeping chromium and Opera for the time being,Thanks for the help.
Rgds oldgit