General TC > General TC Talk

mirrors and download failure

<< < (2/3) > >>

TinyCoreFltk:
[EDITED TO CORRECT SOME PHRASAL INCONSISTENCIES]

around 2 months ago the older version started doing the same thing when trying to install apps. so i decided to keep the previous version (just in case something goes wrong) and install a secondary TinyCore in another partition, hoping that this would eliminate the problem, but it didn't (i asumed that something may have changed to the way tinycore connects to the mirrors).

now i try with the older version and the problem is even worse than the new one. i know that dependency check takes quite some time (and i don't care to wait as long as it's working), but this fails right from the begining, or it takes unusually longer than before to be done (and if it's done, the download fails afterwards). i don't want to ditch TinyCore  :'(  (i loved it with the first sight ;D ) for something like this. i had overcome much worse problems than this and didn't quit (xserver incompatibilities, sound failures, etc)

[ADDED AFTER INITIAL POST]

--- Quote from: coreplayer2 on October 07, 2012, 03:21:55 PM ---
--- Quote from: TinyCoreFltk on October 07, 2012, 03:02:23 PM --- ....it took me 2 minutes trying to do dependency check

--- End quote ---
May I also add that it is quite normal for a dependency check to take several minutes, usually many minutes.

--- End quote ---
the dependency check for the particular tcz was ok (one of the 3 times i tried to download it). after the dependency check failed to download the tcz. the other 2 times it failed right from the dependency check.

Rich:
Hi TinyCoreFltk
This sounds like it may be a mirror problem. Have tried using ibiblio to download apps?

TinyCoreFltk:
i have tried all of them (ibilbio, vim, nluug, etc). all mirrors fail at random (other times on dependency check, other times when downloading the app, other times dependency check and app download take unusually long time to be done, while other times i can't even connect to the mirror). ibiblio (both http and ftp) have the most failures of all the others

in general, 7 out of 10 times the download fails at some point (no matter what mirror i use), and i have to retry again and again to finish it.

Rich:
Hi TinyCoreFltk
If you enter  ifconfig  in a terminal, does it show a lot of errors or collisions?

TinyCoreFltk:
[EDITED TO REMOVE MY MAC ADDRESS (PRIVACY AND SECURITY)]

eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr [removed mac address] 
          UP BROADCAST MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:0 (errors:0) dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:0 (errors:0) dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          (collisions:0) txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:0 (0.0 B)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)
          Interrupt:17 Base address:0x8800

eth1      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr [removed mac address] 
          inet addr:192.168.1.66  Bcast:192.168.1.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:2090 (errors:0) dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:1646 (errors:0) dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          (collisions:0) txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:2269720 (2.1 MiB)  TX bytes:197354 (192.7 KiB)

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback 
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
          RX packets:12 (errors:0) dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:12 (errors:0) dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          (collisions:0) txqueuelen:0
          RX bytes:600 (600.0 B)  TX bytes:600 (600.0 B)

if you mean the bold stuff in the parentheses, no, i have never seen them showing something different than zero. in fact i have never seen the whole rows (errors, dropped, overruns, frame, carrier), showing something different than zero. (i constantly monitor my network status (has been an attack attempt by some automated chinese bulls**t against me about 2 years ago, and after that i watch out everything in my network status))

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version