Tiny Core Extensions > TCE Bugs

Opera won't play flash

(1/2) > >>

grandma:
Tried loading libflashplayer.so to various folders, including

/usr/local/lib

and a dozen others - then restarted Opera - but Opera won't recognize it

Tried changing operaprefs.ini to point to folder.

Also noticed inside operaprefs.ini - the version is set to flash version 6 - may want to set it to 10 to reflect current adobe release

maro:
I'm not sure where you get that version information from out of 'operaprefs.ini', but I believe that it's "neither here nor there".

I'm using a (slightly reduced version) of 'flash10.tcz' created along the lines of the script from the 'getFlash10.tcz' extension (i.e. it consists only of '/usr/local/share/flash10/libflashplayer.so' plus the startup script that creates symbolic links for all sorts of browsers). Therefore the appropriate "file" (or rather link) for Opera seems to be: '/usr/local/lib/opera/plugins/libflashplayer.so'.

But if I take a look into the contents of the default 'pluginpath.ini' file (either in '/usr/local/share/opera/ini' or in '/usr/local/share/opera/defaults') I'd like to think that opera will search for plugins in all sorts of other directories (but not in '/usr/local/lib'). When it finds one it appears to adjust the '~/.opera/pluginpath.ini' file accordingly.

What I like about Opera is that it has no problems to re-scan for new plugins whilst it is running (e.g. via the 'opera:plugins' page and then the 'Refresh plug-ins' link, or via 'Preferences' -> 'Advanced' tab -> 'Content' -> "Plug-in Options' -> 'Find New'). IIRC not all browsers are that flexible (or at least were not in the past).

grandma:
I also read that "Opera rescans" without a restart, and that it "searches all over" for plug ins.

It does seem to run faster - more responsive. I will try the flash10.tcz - I was using flash10ff.tcz for Firefox, and took that out for Opera - reading the Opera site and Adobe site - leading me to utilize their gz file and "IF" I tinker just right - I do get flash to work with Opera, but have yet to repeat it consistently.

I did encounter some other Opera issues - notably visiting a https email login (godaddy emails), - Opera didn't like it and it didn't like Opera much either.

Also, I am being "pushed" into Opera due to a "firefox keeps crashing" problem, that the kind and wise admins have suggested "may be memory related" - and they may be quite right. I went and pulled a PS, DF and DMESG report and figure I'll let em wag a finger at me and say "Grandma - WHAT is all that stuff ya loaded! - And WHY!?!?"

Subject to resolving that, I may or may not continue messing with Opera: I do "want" an open source browser, but just need one that works - reliably. However, adversity brings opportunity, and I have now fine tuned a software package to run on both - and automatically switch to default (Firefox) if Opera becomes unresponsive/ dysfunctional - so these trials - as usual - have brought about some good things.

The one thing to remember throughout all of this "learning" and "tinkering" and "getting it right" - which a lot of people say makes TC a "No thanks" - but when something doesn't work in Windows, you are usually just out of luck - and no matter how much you "tinker" - its unlikely you'll ever get it working "good and fast and consistently". The nice thing about TC - once it works right, its a lot easier to keep it working "good and fast and consistently". So.... onward.

I will try the straight flash10 method.

Rich:
Hi grandma
Since rather than using AppBrowser and installing extensions from the repository, you seem to
prefer to bypass these mechanisms and shoot yourself in the foot, so here's another bullet for you.
On my machine  libflashplayer.so  is in  /usr/local/lib/opera/plugins/. Of course I did not put it there,
I let the perfectly good  getFlash10.tcz  extension install it for me.

grandma:
Hi Rich - thank you - I will try it. I did find the firefox plugin folder and saw flash loaded in there. I was running tce-load -i flash10ff - but I will try the flash10 method instead if you think that might help.

The reason I "manually" install extensions was:

a) As Juanito pointed out - some tcz's worked well in onboot.lst - others had to "wait" - the dance between Alsa, Flash and Firefox is still (after 8 months?) elusive for me. It works sometimes - other times does not. I tried loading it all into onboot.lst - and never did get that to work. Tried the on-demand feature, never got that to work/play videos etc. - or sound would have to be re-done, plus had to write a script to raise levels for Alsaconf etc. - so it all just loads there, raises levels - done.

There are a few extensions in onboot.lst (lemme check)

jwm.tcz
kmaps.tcz
setproxy.tcz

b) Loading by "onboot.lst" also meant a static environment - or editing that to change - then rebooting. Depending on conditions/purpose/session objective - and PC RAM (I have a traveling thumb drive to boot from), I can go to a nice, clean, colorful (ok, eye candy) menu after a boot, fire off a script, and get abi, gnumeric, whatever...easily on the fly - and the system can work in TC or in theory - any other Linux - since it is SH based.

c) Most of the utilities I am using were developed to get around problems I found in TC - whether it was "appearance" (gray boxes) - which my clients would never accept - or performance - inconsistent from one PC to another - so the scripts create "patches" to get things to work.

The system ran fine - 3 months - great good looking desktop - except for the Firefox crashes - then frustrated - I tried Opera - modified a few scripts - and now can't even get Firefox to come up by script (other post) - and have seen Opera play a flash video twice after a lot of mucking around.

I would think it should be rather easy to:

1. Load a program/ap
2. Or load its supporting aps first - or afterwards
3. Then run an ap

...and am finding it isn't that simple or easy.

The only reason I am online now is spending 30 minutes "manually" getting firefox to even run - hunting down the /usr/local/firefox-official directory (which for some reason, firefox can't find it), and manually running a wifi utility I wrote (because wifi-radar can't get me online - another reason a std extension isn't enough).

Since I am new to Opera - I figure - yes - eventually I will get flash working...and will try the /usr/local/lib/opera/plugins folder -

Big question:

ALSA
FLASH
OPERA/FIREFOX

What is the proper sequence to LOAD them?

I typically load alsa first, then assume flash (flash10 or flash10ff), then the browser.

Is that the right order? I believe Juanito once suggested

Alsa, then the browser, then Flash10(ff) and then light up the browser.

Any thoughts?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version