WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: PPI - do I just copy tce files to tclocal directory?  (Read 3326 times)

Offline kerpob

PPI - do I just copy tce files to tclocal directory?
« on: March 26, 2009, 08:46:30 AM »
Concepts page is not clear (to me).

If I want PPI, do I download the relevent TCE files that I am interested in and place them in folder mnt/sda1/tclocal ?

Then with boot code local=sda1 they should load automatically? (nb, sda1 is the partition with tinycore on it)

This is not working for me. Have I got it right? The concepts page mentions: "The TCE collection being tar gzipped will install into the specified location." But tce files don't appear automatically in the folder tclocal when I install them.
eee user. From Xandros to Debian via Breeezy to TCL.

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
Re: PPI - do I just copy tce files to tclocal directory?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 08:54:05 AM »
To use PPI, just simply have create a tclocal directory or file (there is a menu item to create one) and when you boot again it will be automatically detected and mounted as /usr/local.  Then just install tce extensions as usual, making sure they are listed as PPI compatible.  If some have files outside of /usr/local, you can include them in your backup.  You do not need to keep the extensions in the tce directory themselves once they are installed, but you can if you want.  When you reboot the installed extensions will persist.

Offline mikshaw

Re: PPI - do I just copy tce files to tclocal directory?
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 12:14:54 PM »
Most of the extensions I installed in PPI were thankfully PPI compatible.  Some can be made to be PPI compatible, if they don't include files that have to install into /usr/share, /etc...for example, executables installed to /usr/bin can usually simply be moved to /usr/local/bin.  Libraries can often be handled the same way.  For compiletc, I ended up putting as much of it into /usr/local as possible, including moving some executables and libs, and then made a new tce package from the remaining files (basically te same as putting them in a backup as Jason recommended).  I still have a couple of modules that I want to try to convert to PPI-compatible packages, but for now I'm just loading them from tce.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 12:16:37 PM by mikshaw »