WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: I would like to enable 1080p resolution  (Read 517 times)

Offline Rich

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 13006
Re: I would like to enable 1080p resolution
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2026, 01:23:25 PM »
Hi MaxFury
I am unable to find a .tcz in APP gui call "graphics-KERNEL" ...
You can enter:
Code: [Select]
tce-load -w graphics-KERNELand the correct version will get downloaded into your tce directory.

KERNEL stands for the kernel version you are currently running.

Or, using the apps GUI, enter  graphics  in the search box and
select the extension that contains  tinycore64  in its name.

Offline patrikg

  • Wiki Author
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 869
Re: I would like to enable 1080p resolution
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2026, 01:29:17 PM »
You can test to add a bootcode so you will see whats tcz being loaded when booting.

showapps

http://distro.ibiblio.org/tinycorelinux/faq.html#bootcodes

Offline MaxFury

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 69
Re: I would like to enable 1080p resolution
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2026, 01:31:17 PM »
That's graphics-6-18-35-tinycore64.tcz for me.
I installed that and put it in my onboot, it still doesn't boot into 1920x1080

Offline patrikg

  • Wiki Author
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 869
Re: I would like to enable 1080p resolution
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2026, 01:41:42 PM »
And if you are on Virtualbox, you also can change the Max Screen Size there.

This instructions is taken from the web:

1. Go to File > Preferences
2. Go to Display
3. Change Maximum Guest Screen Size to Hint or to None.
4. Enter 1920 x 1080 as a width and height.
5. Restart the virtual machine and voila! It just shows the right resolution.

Offline MaxFury

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 69
Re: I would like to enable 1080p resolution
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2026, 01:44:59 PM »
And if you are on Virtualbox, you also can change the Max Screen Size there.

This instructions is taken from the web:

1. Go to File > Preferences
2. Go to Display
3. Change Maximum Guest Screen Size to Hint or to None.
4. Enter 1920 x 1080 as a width and height.
5. Restart the virtual machine and voila! It just shows the right resolution.

This doesn't work for me, both hint or none.

Offline Juanito

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 15838
Re: I would like to enable 1080p resolution
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2026, 02:15:02 PM »
There’s no need to have so many extensions onboot, it would be easier to troubleshoot if you have just the 5 extensions I mentioned earlier

Offline MaxFury

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 69
Re: I would like to enable 1080p resolution
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2026, 02:16:20 PM »
those things came out of nowhere after I install tc install gui i think,

Offline Juanito

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 15838
Re: I would like to enable 1080p resolution
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2026, 02:19:40 PM »
Did you use tc-install-GUI to install tinycore to the vm hard drive?

Offline Rich

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 13006
Re: I would like to enable 1080p resolution
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2026, 02:20:25 PM »
Hi Juanito
When installing from an ISO, everything gets thrown into
onboot because there are no  .dep  files included.

Offline Juanito

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 15838
Re: I would like to enable 1080p resolution
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2026, 02:23:32 PM »
Sure, but when you then use tc-install the resulting installation has nothing set onboot.

Offline MaxFury

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 69
Re: I would like to enable 1080p resolution
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2026, 02:23:48 PM »
Did you use tc-install-GUI to install tinycore to the vm hard drive?

Yes I did. I used the whole drive, not frugal install

Offline MaxFury

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 69
Re: I would like to enable 1080p resolution
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2026, 02:37:24 PM »
Ok I am gonna start over.
So after I TC install GUI, remove all those onboot things, then install these and have only them in onboot?

Xorg-7.7
graphics-KERNEL
vbox-KERNEL
Xorg-7.7-3d
flwm, aterm and wbar

Offline Juanito

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 15838
Re: I would like to enable 1080p resolution
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2026, 03:29:24 PM »
Not a big deal, but you can remove Xorg-7.7, Xorg-7.7-3d will load it.

Remember to put the hd as the first boot device or virtualbox will load the iso again
« Last Edit: September 29, 2026, 03:31:16 PM by Juanito »

Offline Juanito

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 15838
Re: I would like to enable 1080p resolution
« Reply #28 on: Today at 06:28:13 AM »
I tried setting the resolution to 1920x1080 using virtualbox preferences, but the setting is ignored as per xrandr.

You could try something analagous to this within the guest:
Code: [Select]
Section "Device"
        Identifier      "broadcom"
        Driver         "modesetting"
        Option          "HDMI-1" "u2720q"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier      "u2720q"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier      "Default Screen"
        Device        "broadcom"
        Monitor       "u2720q"
        DefaultDepth  24
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth          24
                Modes         "1920x1080" "1280x1024"  "1024x768"
        EndSubSection
EndSection
..which sets the monitor to 1920x1080

Note that I've tried setting 3d acceleration, but this causes the guest to hang as soon as graphics-KERNEL is loaded. Without it llvmpipe software acceleration is used.