WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: missing firefox_getLatest.tcz on picore  (Read 415 times)

Offline Rabie

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 328
missing firefox_getLatest.tcz on picore
« on: September 21, 2026, 10:30:06 AM »
Hi there,Could anyone tell me what the latest available version of Firefox is for piCore 16.0?
Since I am running a 32-bit userland, I need the 32-bit (armv7) installation of Firefox. Here is my system info for context:

Code: [Select]
$ file /bin/busybox
/bin/busybox: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, ARM, EABI5 version 1 (SYSV), for GNU/Linux 4.9.22, dynamically linked, interpreter /lib/ld-linux-armhf.so.3, no section header

Currently, I cannot find the firefox_getLatest.tcz extension in the repository.
When I install the standard firefox.tcz, it installs a very old version (firefox-68.5.0), which is unfortunately no longer compatible with my other applications.
Can anyone help me out with a newer version or point me in the right direction?

Thank you very much!

Offline Rich

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 13012
Re: missing firefox_getLatest.tcz on picore
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2026, 11:23:40 AM »
Hi Rabie
The latest available version of Firefox for piCore 16.0 is 140.8.0esr according to:
Code: [Select]
Title:          firefox.tcz
Description:    web browser
Version:        140.8.0esr
Author:         see list of sites below
Original-site:  see list of sites below
Copying-policy: see list of sites below
Size:           94MB
Extension_by:   juanito
Tags:         web browser
Comments:       firefox web browser
                ----------
                RPi2 and greater
                can optionally use alsa sound
                ----------
                This extension contains:
                firefox-140.8.0esr - MPLv2 - https://archive.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/140.8.0esr/source/firefox-140.8.0esr.source.tar.xz
                ----------
Change-log:     2020/07/01 first version
Current:        2026/02/27 updated 68.5.0esr -> 140.8.0esr
Found here:
http://tinycorelinux.net/16.x/armhf/tcz/firefox-ESR.tcz.info

Offline Rabie

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 328
Re: missing firefox_getLatest.tcz on picore
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2026, 01:22:22 PM »
Thank you Rich, I will try it later.

Offline Rabie

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 328
Re: missing firefox_getLatest.tcz on picore
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2026, 07:14:22 AM »
Hi Rich,
after installing firefox-ESR.tcz initially, launching firefox failed due to a missing dependency:
Code: [Select]
$ firefox
XPCOMGlueLoad error for file /tmp/tcloop/firefox-ESR/usr/local/lib/firefox/libxul.so:
libvpx.so.8: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Couldn't load XPCOM.

I manually installed the missing library along with other core dependencies:
Code: [Select]
tce-load -wi firefox-ESR.tcz libvpx.tcz libpng.tcz nspr.tcz gtk3.tcz
Then running firefox results a Bus error:
Code: [Select]
$ firefox
Bus error

The only way I can get Firefox to start successfully is by completely copying the mounted extension files into true RAM (/tmp) and running it from there with a custom LD_LIBRARY_PATH:

Code: [Select]
# 1. Create local folders in true RAM
mkdir -p /tmp/firefox_ram
mkdir -p /tmp/libs_ram

# 2. Copy the entire Firefox package and core libraries to RAM
cp -a /tmp/tcloop/firefox-ESR/usr/local/lib/firefox/* /tmp/firefox_ram/
cp -a /tmp/tcloop/nspr/usr/local/lib/*.so* /tmp/libs_ram/
cp -a /tmp/tcloop/nss/usr/local/lib/*.so* /tmp/libs_ram/
cp -a /tmp/tcloop/libpng/usr/local/lib/*.so* /tmp/libs_ram/

# 3. Execute Firefox directly from RAM with a local profile
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/tmp/libs_ram:/tmp/firefox_ram:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH /tmp/firefox_ram/firefox-bin --profile /tmp/test_profile

With this workaround, Firefox starts perfectly.
Is this an issue with the compiled firefox-ESR.tcz package (e.g., missing dependencies in its .dep file ), or is there something wrong with my system configuration?


Offline Rabie

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 328
Re: missing firefox_getLatest.tcz on picore
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2026, 07:57:59 AM »
Update:
I found a workaround using the copy2fs feature, but I am looking for a cleaner solution.
Here is what I did:
1. I created a copy2fs.lst file in my tce directory with the following content
Code: [Select]
firefox-ESR.tcz
libvpx.tcz
libpng.tcz
nspr.tcz
nss.tcz
gtk3.tcz

2. I removed these extensions from onboot.lst.
3. Instead, I trigger a manual installation inside .xsession as soon as the X server becomes available, using this command:
tce-load -i firefox-ESR.tcz libvpx.tcz libpng.tcz nspr.tcz nss.tcz gtk3.tcz

With this setup, Firefox starts successfully. However, loading everything manually via .xsession feels like that ist not the right way. Is there a better way to resolve this issue in piCore?

Offline Juanito

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 15850
Re: missing firefox_getLatest.tcz on picore
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2026, 09:25:42 AM »
Assuming you are using the piCore 17.x repo, libvpx is already in the firefox-ESR dep file.

How did you download the firefox-ESR extension?

Offline Rabie

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 328
Re: missing firefox_getLatest.tcz on picore
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2026, 09:31:41 AM »
Hi Juanito,

like i said before i just installed it with tce-load -wi firefox-ESR.tcz
Quote
I manually installed the missing library along with other core dependencies:
tce-load -wi firefox-ESR.tcz libvpx.tcz libpng.tcz nspr.tcz gtk3.tcz

and i am using pi core 16 so i think its this repo: http://www.tinycorelinux.net/16.x/armhf/tcz/

Code: [Select]
$version
16.0

Quote
Hi there,Could anyone tell me what the latest available version of Firefox is for piCore 16.0?
Since I am running a 32-bit userland, I need the 32-bit (armv7) installation of Firefox. Here is my system info for context:

$ file /bin/busybox
/bin/busybox: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, ARM, EABI5 version 1 (SYSV), for GNU/Linux 4.9.22, dynamically linked, interpreter /lib/ld-linux-armhf.so.3, no section header

Offline Juanito

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 15850
Re: missing firefox_getLatest.tcz on picore
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2026, 09:35:22 AM »
I can’t get to an RPi to test for a week or so, but last time I used firefox-ESR it worked..

Offline Rabie

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 328
Re: missing firefox_getLatest.tcz on picore
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2026, 09:46:37 AM »
No problem, Firefox works for now with the workaround I described earlier.
Please let me know if you find out what the root cause of the problem is.
One thing I can definitely confirm is that the .dep file for the firefox-ESR.tcz extension is incomplete."

Offline Rich

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 13012
Re: missing firefox_getLatest.tcz on picore
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2026, 09:53:15 AM »
Hi Rabie
Based on your reply #3, it kind of sounds like a dbus issue:
... Then running firefox results a Bus error:
Code: [Select]
$ firefox
Bus error
...

Doing a cat of my firefox.tcz.dep (firefox ESR 140) files for x86 and x86_64
returns this:
Code: [Select]
tc@E310:~$ cat /etc/sysconfig/tcedir/optional/firefox.tcz.dep | sort
cairo.tcz
dbus-glib.tcz
gamin.tcz
gcc_libs.tcz
gdk-pixbuf2.tcz
gtk3.tcz
hicolor-icon-theme.tcz
libXt.tcz
libXtst.tcz
libasound.tcz

At the very least, dbus-glib.tcz looks like it might be helpful.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2026, 09:54:55 AM by Rich »

Offline Rabie

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 328
Re: missing firefox_getLatest.tcz on picore
« Reply #10 on: Today at 03:15:07 AM »
Hi Rich,
i added the Extensions that you named zu the .dep file manually and did a reboot but i also get bus error.

Code: [Select]
$ cat optional/firefox-ESR.tcz.dep
libwebp.tcz
libevent.tcz
libXt.tcz
sqlite3.tcz
nss.tcz
adwaita-icon-theme.tcz
libaom.tcz
dav1d.tcz
libvpx.tcz
libpng.tcz
nspr.tcz
gtk3.tcz
dbus-glib.tcz
gdk-pixbuf.tcz
cairo.tcz
gamin.tcz
gcc_libs.tcz
hicolor-icon-theme.tcz
libXtst.tcz
libasound.tcz

Code: [Select]
firefox
Bus error