WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: I guess i'm just looking for the easy way out, lol  (Read 1270 times)

Offline mocallins

I guess i'm just looking for the easy way out, lol
« on: February 03, 2023, 01:05:19 PM »
Wouldn't it be possible for you guys to have a web interace to be able to create extensions for us couple times users.

I don't really have any desire to become an extension creating expert, nor do i bet lots of others.

Anyway someone posted the steps to accomplish and it was like 2 pages long, and referend reading the book.

Isn't this 2023, can't we have  simpler mechnism ?

Just my 2 cents.

Offline GNUser

Re: I guess i'm just looking for the easy way out, lol
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2023, 01:41:28 PM »
Hi, mocallins. It's not complicated and shouldn't take 2 pages to describe:

If extension is for your use only:
1. Create a directory that represents system's root directory and call it anything you want--"rootdir" for example
2. In rootdir, put whatever directories and files you want to include in your extension
3. Open a terminal, cd to rootdir's parent directory, then: $ mksquashfs rootdir/ niftyapp.tcz

If you are going to submit the extension:
1. Create a working directory (call it niftyapp_project, for example) and inside of it put the following:
  a. niftyapp.tcz (create as above)
  b. niftyapp.tcz.dep (if applicable)
  c. niftyapp.tcz.info
  d. source code tarball and text file with compilation instructions (if applicable)
2. Open a terminal, cd to niftyapp_project, then:
  a. $ submitqc
  b. $ cd ..
  c. $ tar -cvzf niftyapp.tar.gz niftyapp_project/
  d. $ bcrypt niftyapp.tar.gz (when asked for an encryption password, use tinycore)
3. Email the resulting niftyapp.tar.gz.bfe as an attachment to tcesubmit@gmail.com (if no .dep file exists, mention it in the body of the email)

Don't hold your breath for a web interface. TCL is a self-help distro, like Arch Linux but even more so. You are expected to roll up your sleeves.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2023, 01:48:25 PM by GNUser »

Offline GNUser

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2023, 02:33:15 PM »
Oh, I forgot an important trick: If you are compiling something with the intention of creating an extension, build the .tcz file by creating an empty "rootdir" directory and, instead of the usual sudo make install step, do make DESTDIR=/path/to/rootdir install

P.S. I think another reason why such a web interface doesn't exist is that it would make extension creation more complicated, not less.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2023, 02:35:21 PM by GNUser »

Offline CNK

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2023, 05:34:46 PM »
The easy way out might be dCore, where missing extensions can be created from Debian packages, as described on the Wiki. Debian packages most software that people want (although TC actually has extensions for some old software that Debian has abandoned).

Offline mocore

• ~.~
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2023, 12:13:00 AM »
P.S. I think another reason why such a web interface doesn't exist is that it would make extension creation more complicated, not less.
;)
define "web interface" eg with http://xtermjs.org/  it would be possible to use command line  from a "web interface" ( with in which one could run many of the existing unofficial extension creation scripts ! )

so not only is the process of extension creation a broad topic ( for some peculiarities see the 'When DESTDIR Fails' section  of the creating_extensions on the wiki (linked below) )
the proposed solution to reduce the complexity is defined by an ever changing set of "web" apis / standards  (and the forces that shape them) and also decision's library's that use these web api's

+ any web api would need to send its (form)inputs to some process(script/cgi) , as mentioned above some scripts have all ready been written and can(could , last i checked) be found on the forums   

before the tcl book was available the wiki was the go to reference for many topics including creating_extensions