WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: UEFI version of TinyCore  (Read 1441 times)

Offline justaskin

UEFI version of TinyCore
« on: July 11, 2022, 04:58:25 AM »
I only recently discovered TinyCore and it seems like a potentially useful little distribution. I wanted to try it out, but it wouldn't boot on my machine due to the .iso's lack of UEFI support. I read the FAQ and it doesn't say anything about UEFI. I searched the forum to see if there is a UEFI version of TinyCore I can download. I found tons of different threads with all sorts of responses about kludges which I guess is an answer of a kind: "No, TinyCore does not support UEFI out of the box."

First, am I mistaken? Does UEFI work correctly for everyone else?

Second, is there something like TinyCore, perhaps a spinoff, which works with UEFI? I just want to give it a test spin before I commit a lot of time to learning about it.

And finally, I wanted to point out that one cannot search this forum without creating an account and verifying an email address and solving three different CAPTCHAs. That seems a little hostile to people new to TinyCore. Is that intentional?

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
Re: UEFI version of TinyCore
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2022, 08:48:30 AM »
The CorePure64 iso will uefi boot on some machines - otherwise search the forums on uefi bios dual boot.

Offline tcl_user5

Re: UEFI version of TinyCore
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2022, 02:27:00 AM »
I use Tiny Core on my UEFI only laptop.

I also had an issue with how to boot Tiny Core on the UEFI machine using the iso for the first time.  You could try the following options.

(1) Use Porteus mashup explained excellently in this post -http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php?topic=25298.0

(2) Use a Virtual machine

(3) Use Ventoy as mentioned in this post- http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,25837.0.html

I have tried the first two myself and both work. Forum member DeMontager has mentioned that the third option works.

The above is only for booting into Tiny Core the first time. Once you boot into Tiny core, you could follow the steps in the link in (3) above to permanently install it to hard drive or USB etc.