WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: piCore-13.0.3 released (32-bit)  (Read 23985 times)

Offline Greg Erskine

Re: piCore-13.0.3 released (32-bit)
« Reply #60 on: October 25, 2021, 12:38:12 PM »
IIRC, people only started to delete files from the FAT partition on the SD card because they needed a little more space to transfer some extensions between a Windows PC and the second partition on the SD card in one go.

There is no need or advantage to remove files otherwise.

Offline CJ

« Reply #61 on: October 25, 2021, 02:23:22 PM »
So since I am only worried about what is getting loaded into RAM and not the SD card as you stated I really don't need to delete any files as it only loads what it needs in RAM per the CPU type? And since I'm using at least a 16GB SD card I should have no problem. What I'm doing is (currently in Buster lite) just installing what is needed to use the PiZero W's as RTSP and send the files to another Pi 4 (8GB via Ethernet) running a NVR called Shinobi. I'm hoping that the lag I see sometimes with the wifi lag will be better with everything loaded in RAM. I'm hoping that the RTSP software gets loaded in RAM also or am I wrong or have to investigate it? All the video and/or .jpg files should be sent to the RPI4 (with an SSD of 480GB mounted). This setup with Buster Lite has been running well for over a year except sometimes I see a lag I'm assuming is due to the WiFi in combination with reading and writing stuff from the SD card on the Zero W's. The Pi4 is not using an SD card , all the OS and everything is on the SSD drive.
Any comments or help would be greatly appreciated as always.

Will I need to install a WiFi package to the PiZeroW's or is it included with the 13.0.3 (32-bit image)?

Again I appreciate the time you took to research and answer and will post my results and even instructions if anyone is interested in a low cost NVR security system. So far I have 4 Pi Zero W's in the Buster setup.
Other questions that come to mind is where do I load the Static IP address and WiFi credentials on the PiZeroW unless it's the same files as with Buster lite. I don't mind looking for the answers myself as long as you point me in the right directions.

Again, much thanks.

CJ

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #62 on: October 26, 2021, 04:49:07 AM »
The wifi extension and its dependencies are not included in the piCore image.

I burnt a new piCore-13.0.3 sd card for an RPi0W about ten days ago, added wifi and everything worked first try  :)

Basically:

* burn the image to sd card
* extend the second partition (I also added a third swap partition)
* copy the firmware-rpi-wifi and wifi extensions (*tcz, *tcz.dep, *tcz.md5.txt) and their dependencies to /mnt/mmcblk0p2/tce/optional
* add firmware-rpi-wifi and wifi to /mnt/mmcblk0p2/tce/onboot.lst
* add "wifi.sh -a" to /opt/bootlocal.sh
* create ~/wifi.db for your access point
* make a backup
* reboot
« Last Edit: October 26, 2021, 04:51:22 AM by Juanito »

Offline CJ

« Reply #63 on: October 26, 2021, 07:10:31 AM »
I appreciate the help.
However I'm not a Linux person so I'm really lost on most of the things you listed here.
Plus I don't see where I put my Wifi creds and static ip etc.
Does anyone have a detailed step by step on how to do this?

Thanks again

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #64 on: October 26, 2021, 07:38:31 AM »
It’s probably better to go step by step - start here:

http://tinycorelinux.net/12.x/armv6/releases/RPi/README

..but download the image from here:

http://tinycorelinux.net/13.x/armv6/releases/RPi/

Offline CJ

« Reply #65 on: October 26, 2021, 07:44:08 AM »