WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Forum registration close to impossible  (Read 1919 times)

Offline dpr

Forum registration close to impossible
« on: February 18, 2020, 03:49:43 AM »
Somehow I managed to register at this forum, I tried probably a dozen times but registration always failed with a "hacking attempt" error message that seems to be related to the "assign icons vertically" captcha.

Even the initial "I'm not a bot - match images" captcha is sometimes impossible to master as there is sometimes simply no match for the images being shown.

Maybe some administrator could look into the captchas, if you're interested in new users. I doubt the average user will try more than 2-3 times...

Offline Techo

Re: Forum registration close to impossible
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2022, 04:02:19 PM »
Yeah, I finally managed to "break in" myself by outright copying the HTML of the captchablock div. The dev console says it's because of the CSS IDs #imgoneField, #imgtwoField, and #imgthreeField on the registration page. Either there should just be one set of image captchas, or the IDs should be changed to classes so that they can be used multiple times. What's happening as far as I can tell is that in the JS block in the second captchablock set, the necessary HTML code is just being applied to the first location of #imgxField. Hence, the necessary bits of code aren't being applied to the second set of captchablock divs, which is remedied by just copying and pasting the HTML code for each captchablock. Changing to classes would make it a bit trickier, given that the beloved document.GetElementByID function couldn't be used then, so I'd say to just get rid of the second block of captchas, especially since it's just the same thing as the first block of captchas.

Offline uutzinger

Re: Forum registration close to impossible
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2023, 08:21:00 PM »
Registration is a little bit like an escape room.

First clue: It is possible to register but it takes persistence.
Second clue: There is usually only 2 squares that make sense during the first stage.
Third clue: You will need to look at the html code. Chrome, Edge, Firefox and Waterfox all work the same way and update the slider movements in the html code.

It is a mystery to me if the registration is difficult intentionally or unintentionally but if you get through registration you have what it takes to make tinycore work. If the difficulty was indented, perhaps a nomination for IgNobel prize is in order; or is there prize that "honors achievements that first makes people confused, and then makes them think" ?