WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Arch/Manjaro based dCore?  (Read 2918 times)

Offline sbaguz

Arch/Manjaro based dCore?
« on: July 10, 2017, 07:16:11 AM »
A question to the developers: did you ever consider an Arch/Manjaro based version of dCore?
From an user viewpoint it would be great: a rolling release distro would cancel the periodic version update of all the packages...
But also from a developer viewpoint I think the distro would be easier to maintain.

Would it be feasible or there are any technical issues? Or it's a problem of available time only?

Thanks

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
Re: Arch/Manjaro based dCore?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2017, 08:38:23 AM »
Hi sbaguz,
I did create a prototype of an Arch based dCore, it created .tcz packages and pulled from the Arch Rollback Machine, now called the Arch Linux Archive.   It only lacked a base packed with the Arch linux files of Glibc and the like.  But the import tools and the 6/1/2014 Arch repo worked enough with dCore-jessie and it's 3.16.6-tinycore kernel to boot into an X desktop with fluxbox.  The files are located below if anyone would like to look at or use them.  Since it would use the Arch Archive, there would be no need for an update routine.  Just simple install.  The flagging of packages for unintstall upon reboot would be the same as Tinycore. 

Rolling release would be a problem due to the fact we use a base system that is static and tied to a particular repo, whereas Arch linux would update all files when say Glibc is updated to a new major version at any time. 

Of course, many packages would need custom startup scripts just like with Tinycore/dCore due to the use of symlinks rather than real files among other reasons.  But the groundwork of the import routine is there is anyone wants to make use of it.

http://tinycorelinux.net/dCore/arch/

Offline sbaguz

Re: Arch/Manjaro based dCore?
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2017, 09:43:07 AM »
Thanks for the detailed explanation Jason!
I'm a long term user of Arch and I would love to mix its philosophy to the Core one, but if I well understood what you said a pure rolling release would be impossible, so I have to give up...  :'(