WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Naming conventions for kernel and initRD on ISO-build  (Read 3090 times)

Offline sm8ps

Naming conventions for kernel and initRD on ISO-build
« on: December 24, 2016, 03:45:42 AM »
I did an installation from the ISO-build that was dd'ed to an USB-stick. Brilliant, how simple the taking off has become! I copied kernel and initRD to the hard-disk and installed the boot-loader. When upgrading I realized that the ISO-build uses a different naming convention than the regular builds (missing dash between object and version name, e.g. dCorexenial instead of dCore-xenial).
I do not see a specific reason for this and recognized the following pitfall: upon upgrading, I had to adapt the boot loader configuration; otherwise the system would not have booted. I suggest using the same naming convention.
Cheers!
sm

Offline nitram

Re: Naming conventions for kernel and initRD on ISO-build
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2016, 02:00:53 PM »
Peace sm8ps.

Think i remember this from before too, as you say probably just needs to be renamed for consistency.

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2016, 02:32:09 PM »
The bootloader on the iso does not allow for dashes in the file names in the kernel and initrd.  I will look again to see if there is a way isolinux can accomodate dashes.  I would rather not have to rename the regular kernel and initrd files to not having the dash, along with breaking the many scripts that expect the dash.  If pulling the kernel and initrd files, just remember  to add the dash or edit the bootloader file on permanent storage.

Offline sm8ps

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2016, 03:50:57 PM »
I suspected that there was some kind of character issue but had never heard about that limitation of Syslinux. This is no biggie, of course. For the time being, I will eventually add a note to the respective entry in the wiki.