WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: appbrowser problem  (Read 9295 times)

Offline Guy

Re: appbrowser problem
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2011, 08:03:54 PM »
Most people contributing to the wiki make positive contributions.

However, in the past there have been some people who have written things in the wiki which are either not true, or not relevant.

They have not been trying to intentionally make the wiki worse. They are usually people with a poor understanding of the subject, but trying to contribute. Some people have poor writing skills.

The best way to deal with them is to edit the page(s) concerned, and fix up any mistakes.

I don't think it is possible to have a set of guidelines which will result in a better wiki.

It is just a matter of dealing with any poor contributions when they occur.
Many people see what is. Some people see what can be, and make a difference.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2011, 10:25:29 PM »
The contributions of Guy and others have really improved the wiki docs. I don't think they should be restricted in this regard, having more users editing will bring up more topics where instructions are needed. It is often hard for us regulars to guess what is unclear to newcomers.

I am guilty of writing the page in question, yes. Perhaps the warning should be cat-sized. Perhaps it should be modified to have the extensions in an additional initramfs, in /opt/tce, to enable normal tce folder use.

But since the latter forces loading to ram, it is sometimes a bad choice on older systems. Maybe it would be best to recommend opt/tce as the default, with a note at the bottom pointing to these current instructions (renamed, so that existing links point to the better procedure).
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2011, 05:56:53 AM »
I have edited said Wiki page. I find that the remarks leveled against me personally quite disturbing. I am not "discouraging". It is I that week after week, month after month toils away to improve my distribution.

It is I who sets the course, does the coding, and hours and hours of testing. I will always speak out against anything that I find is counter to the integrity of the system that I have built.
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

aus9

« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2011, 04:45:39 PM »
roberts

If your remarks are directed to me.....by the comment
 I find that the remarks leveled against me personally quite disturbing.

Fact ===I referrred to some members are moderators. IMHO that is the only possible reference you appear to be upset about

Fact===I said forums can become unfriendly. Not sure how you feel that levelled against you personally

but I have written wikis....I don't blinkin care that you don't like my wikis on sound or grub or grub2 or cups etc

FACT If you don't like my wikis....get someone to edit them or delete them.

As I have clearly upset you....and I am not going to replace you...nor do I care to, I shall leave this forum.

Its possible you regard any perceived negative comment about TC forum or TC wiki as personally directed against you. I feel sorry for your current perception. You may be under a lot of stress. I am under a lot of stress at work so have idea of the tunnels our minds dig for us.

"Perception is reality"

Therefore I  resign. And delete my account

If I can't state my opinion without being attacked then its better for everyone that I leave and you guys and gals get on with the development.

good luck

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2011, 05:03:49 PM »
Attack?
Did I miss something?
Were posts deleted?

Disagreements arise, and roberts is the owner and ultimate decision maker, but I didn't see any attack.
I didn't even see an argument with aus9.

Offline newbody

« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2011, 04:32:07 AM »
any link to his text on grub2? He has left so I can not ask him. Yes wiki but that is a big thing to look through. is it some discussion page or how do I find the text?

I have asked about grub2 before but it was way above my capacity to get that text.

The good thing about grub2 is that it allow booting of isos on NTFS and some 90% of all computers sold have ntfs on them. Using grub2 one then could boot any Linux without changing a thing and still have dual boot???

Maybe I know too little though.

Great thanks for recent changes to 3.7 RC3 that allowed me to have TCL on my ntfs. Very good.
Acer D250, Snow Puppy, TinyCore and on HP SR5622, Snow Puppy,

Offline maro

« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2011, 04:10:30 PM »
any link to his text on grub2?
@newbody: If you would have entered 'grub2' in the search box (close to the top right corner of the wiki start page) the result would have shown "Matching pagenames". The first one listed there (labeled "from_grub1 (wiki)") is most likely the one referred to by 'aus9'.

In the future: Please invest in a bit more effort on your own in finding out information. You should not expect that that every little piece will be delivered to you in a pre-digested form. You've been around in this forum long enough that you can be expected to stand a bit more on your own two feet.