WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: appbrowser search dependency missing  (Read 6268 times)

Offline coreplayer2

Re: appbrowser search dependency missing
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2011, 09:40:35 PM »
At least mention the version you are using!
Are using a custom local repository?

Lastly check that  /usr/bin/search.sh  wget is using tinycorelinux.net
Same goes for /usr/bin/provides.sh

Sorry I forgot to mention that info;  The issue began with 3.7RC2, however rolled back to 3.6 this morning since I have the needed wireless drivers and extensions now,  also kept same installed extensions and backup as used with 3.7RC2 and the issue persists.

I had thought about the NoRestore boot option but didn't have time this am to try..  

It is a temporary frugal install on a USB drive using FAT32 and grub4dos with a graphix boot menu yet have tried to follow the guides as best I can, with persistent Home and Option directories with a backup.    While I have not used a mirror site, there have been times when installing wireless extensions where I had to use a local store after extension transfer from another machine.

sound like I really need to check the scripts mentioned above asap

Well also had an issue with my forum login resulting in a temporary new username,  I need to find an admin to fix for me..

Note: my USB install boot config shows the installation configuration

title Tiny Core Linux USB
find --set-root  /tce/bzImage
kernel /tce/bzImage quiet waitusb=5 tce=UUID="2B16-F6B4" opt=sdb1 home=sdb1
initrd /tinycore.gz
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 07:15:13 AM by coreplayer2 »

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2011, 10:53:54 PM »
ok  still no resolution however

Both search and provides scripts depict the .net address  so I changed the address to .com = no change

I ran "ab vlc"  at the terminal and the search was successful   as indicated by beroje

« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 12:11:19 AM by coreplayer2 »

Offline andrewb

« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2011, 12:13:25 AM »
I can report the same behaviour running YC3.6 on VirtualBox.

All seemed to be working OK a few days ago & then the search functions stopped working. Sorry I can't remember exactly when, but all I have been downloading are extensions since downloading the 3.6 iso so no new base system has been installed.

I have the virtualbox-ose-additions-modules extension loaded. This appears to have also loaded glibc_apps, graphics, and i2c.

Removing these extensions (and related commands in boot;local.sh to make vbox shared folders work) doesn't make the appbrowser gui search work. The cli ab search works OK.

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2011, 01:56:26 AM »
It's interesting that there are configuration files for "search" and "provides" yet no file that I can find easily for "local" which is likely the very configuration which is causing the main issue.

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2011, 01:00:04 PM »
RESOLVED

While not related,  apparently I didn't have persistence set up correctly but I understand the requirements more clearly now and how this could not have been a factor in this issue.  Since there was no persistence, only the backup or some app and or one of it's dependent's could be the cause right?

Deleting my backups didn't help in the slightest, cleaning up some apps however restored the search feature to normal.    :D   Exactly which app caused the problem is hard to tell but the non functioning catfish app was definitely suspected in that list of discarded programs along with a few trial file explorers.

Anyhow I'm glad I wasn't alone with the issue however TinyCore app search is fully functional again,  thanks guys for listening.

My two favorite apps which work in perfect harmony with tinycore are XFE (for file exploring) and Searchmonkey (best search engine ever seen on any operating system and it's relatively lightweight to boot!)  
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 01:07:13 PM by coreplayer2 »

Offline Lee

• My Core wiki user page
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2011, 01:30:00 PM »
The search function of appbrowser is not something I use all that often or I'd have looked into it earlier, but...

(Tiny Core 3.6)

The plan here was to determine when the search function stops working - is it after restore, or after some extension is loaded?  Results:

*) boot with "base" and "norestore" - appbrowser can't connect (no network)

*) use cpanel's network tool to enable dhcp - start appbrowser, connect, search for jre - OK, extensions are found

*) mount sdb1(the FAT filesystem on USB stick where tce directory lives)  then start appbrowser, connect, search for jre - OK.

*) restore from backup - filetool.sh -r /.mnt/sdb1/tce  then start appbrowser, connect, search for jre - OK.

*) sudo echo /mnt/sdb1/tce >/opt/.tce_dir  then start appbrowser, connect, search for jre - NO SEARCH RESULTS RETURNED.

I don't see any files in /mnt/sdb1/tce nor in /tmp/tce that would seem to be an issue.  Maybe directory permissions or ownership? - though I don't think permissions count for much on FAT.

Code: [Select]
drwxrwxrwt    5 root     staff          220 Jun 14 12:13 /tmp/
drwxrwxr-x    2 root     staff           40 Jun 14 12:12 /tmp/tce/

drwxr-xr-x   10 root     root           200 Jun 14 12:12 /mnt/
drwxrwxrwx    9 root     root          4096 Dec 31  1969 /mnt/sdb1/
drwxrwxrwx    3 root     root          4096 Jun  4 17:44 /mnt/sdb1/tce/

content of /mnt/sdb1/tce/ :
-rwxrwxrwx    1 root     root      51867564 Jun 14 11:40 mydata.tgz
-rwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           133 Jun 13 17:42 onboot.lst
-rwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           108 May 23 05:34 onload.sh
drwxrwxrwx    2 root     root         61440 Jun 14 12:06 optional/
-rwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           164 Jun 14 10:17 xwbar.lst

Any ideas what might be going on?

32 bit core4.7.7, Xprogs, Xorg-7.6, wbar, jwm  |  - Testing -
PPR, data persistence through filetool.sh          |  32 bit core 8.0 alpha 1
USB Flash drive, one partition, ext2, grub4dos  | Otherwise similar

Offline caminati

• Homepage
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2011, 07:59:46 AM »
I can confirm this issue with microcore 3.7.1.
My menu.lst:
kernel /microcore/bzImage.upxed norestore

Please note that I tested with a tce dir containing only Xlibs.tcz* Xprogs.tcz* Xvesa.tcz*, plus the firmware modules I need to connect.

In this scenario, I launch appbrowser from an aterm inside Xvesa (no window manager, by the way).
appbrowser connects all right, showing all the tczs from ibiblio on the left pane.
BUT, if I search anything (for example "reader"), that same pane is left empty, and the console messages:

wget: can't open 'tcz3x.cgi?reader': Invalid argument
grep: tcz3x.cgi?reader: No such file or directory
rm: can't remove 'tcz3x.cgi?reader': No such file or directory
I repeated the whole thing, only moving my meager tce directory from a FAT partition to an ext3 partition, and the problem disappeared. Same good news with "base" boot cheatcode+manually copying tczs from tce directory on HD to /tmp/.

Please note that all tczs I used have been updated today through AppsAudit.

I confirm that "ab" command line utility does not present this bug.
Maybe this is related with the problems 3.7.1 bugfix was released for?

Offline killerhippy

« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2011, 05:53:25 PM »

*) restore from backup - filetool.sh -r /.mnt/sdb1/tce  then start appbrowser, connect, search for jre - OK.

*) sudo echo /mnt/sdb1/tce >/opt/.tce_dir  then start appbrowser, connect, search for jre - NO SEARCH RESULTS RETURNED.

I can confirm that if I have /opt/.tce_dir with content "/mnt/sda3/tce" which is a fat partition I have no search results.
Removing the file and restarting appbrowser resolves the isssue though it is useless because it breaks persistency.
I straced appbrowser though I am not a C programmer and suspect rights management the cause of this trouble, though I cannot understand why wget barks about being unable to write the file, the only chdir I found was to "/mnt/sda3/tce" which is writeable by all.
This is tc v3.7.1 and it is the same at v3.8rc1
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 06:26:27 PM by killerhippy »

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2011, 04:28:46 AM »
I have a patch for this issue.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline killerhippy

« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2011, 07:08:03 AM »
I have a patch for this issue.
Good news, where to get it? Is it going into rc?

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2011, 01:08:11 AM »
cool thanks curaga

So feed back has it's benefits :)

Offline caminati

• Homepage
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2011, 11:57:40 AM »
The issue seems to be gone with 3.8rc2, I just tested for it.
:)