WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Thinkpad 390 X frezze at boot  (Read 8461 times)

Online Rich

• Administrator
Re: Thinkpad 390 X frezze at boot
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2011, 11:12:24 AM »
Hi sigusmund
Could the boot code  "text"  you are using have anything to do with it?

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2011, 11:36:12 AM »
When I run X : tinycore vga=7xx...( I tried all relvant opions eg 790,791 etc) laptop freeze.

Better to start with
Code: [Select]
vga=ask
I tried puppy linux and gui works OK, win 98 also works OK.

With which X server exactly?
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline sigusmund

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2011, 03:43:05 PM »
hi everyone,

rich: I use "tinycore textˇ" because video mode doesn't work...

tinypoodle:
puppy linux X server - Xorg;
vga=ask  I get video modes similar like in original boot menu. I select 1024x768x16, when boot proceed I even get tiny core picture in upper left corner; but when x server starts I get blank screen with cusor in right resolution and that's it.

Juanito: I DL all files, load Xorg, finnaly got config files :), check if resolution and video mode is OK, check in Xserver if there is Xorg. Than I startx and get just black screen even without cursor.

Now I'm searching for Xorg info to get it work. To short learning curve do you guys have any suggestion?

Offline maro

« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2011, 07:56:14 PM »
@sigusmund: Looks like you've managed to get the 'Xorg' X server and all it's dependencies installed, but are still not getting it to work. Are you aware that 'Xorg' produces a log file (i.e. '/var/log/Xorg.0.log') that should contain very useful information? I guess it would help to attach it here.

Please note:
(1) Be aware that running 'Xorg' multiple times leads to a renaming of the previous log file version (to 'Xorg.0.log.old').
(2) The 'vga=...' boot code has only an impact on the console (hence the "tiny core picture in upper left corner" and possibly a different than the typical 80x25 layout) plus is required if you want to use the frame buffer X server (i.e. the 'Xfbdev.tcz' extension). If you want to use the 'Xorg' server you won't need it (unless you like the slower console with the option to see more than 25 lines).
(3) Furthermore there is the option to run sudo Xorg -configure and share the resulting 'xorg.conf.new' and '/var/log/Xorg.0.log' here with us.

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2011, 08:53:03 PM »
vga=ask  I get video modes similar like in original boot menu. I select 1024x768x16, when boot proceed I even get tiny core picture in upper left corner; but when x server starts I get blank screen with cusor in right resolution and that's it.

In that case one approach is to load Xfbdev.tcz after booting with boot code 'text'.
And if my memory serves me right, for many cases with neomagic cards Xfbdev has been the working solution in the past (also on other systems).

EDIT: A quick forum search would bring up several successful usage cases...
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 09:01:25 PM by tinypoodle »
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline sigusmund

« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2011, 03:49:14 PM »
Hi,

I'm attaching Xorg log and config file. I can see that neotragic card is properly recognized and selected in config file, but startx brings me again black screen and freezed Lap. Therefore I can't check log and findout what went wrong. >:(

Searching old topics: I' not to lazy for do that but...  my problem is unique  ;D

I found this topics: Problems does not work on Acer313T - Stefanogreg solved similar problem with TC ver 2.11.6 and Xfbde.tcz from 3.x... If Xorg will not start to work I 'll try with Xfbde

Tnx for all help!

Offline maro

« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2011, 10:48:37 PM »
I'm not an expert of interpreting the 'Xorg.0.log' I just thought it might help to give someone else an idea. Mind you this log is for the 'sudo Xorg -configure' run (as suggested), which does not seem to crash. I wonder what log you'd get if you let 'Xorg' run for a few seconds and then have it killed again, e.g. via
    Xorg & PID=$! ; sleep 10 ; kill $PID
This should work without you being stuck with a non-responsive X server (at least it does it for me).

BTW, have you tried (as suggested in the 'Xorg-7.5.tcz.info') to use the 'xorg.conf.vesa' (e.g. via sudo cp -p /etc/X11/xorg.conf.vesa /etc/X11/xorg.conf and then start 'Xorg')?

Do I get this right, the Puppy X server works on the same hardware? I believe they use an older version of Xorg, but it would not harm to take a look at their '/var/log/Xorg.0.log' to compare and maybe (if used) their '/etc/X11/xorg.conf'. You might as well attach those files here.

I also had a quick look at this ThinkWiki page and our kernel is not build with all the reported settings. So this might be another area to consider, but I'm not in a position to judge whether it is worth the effort to build a new kernel.

Offline sigusmund

« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2011, 12:58:53 PM »
Hey,

IT IS WORKING juhej !!!! ;D

Problem was in .xsession. For all (re)searchers:

- burn CD (mine ver is 3.7rc2)
- at boot write down tinycore text
- you sholud get something like tc@box:~$
- cd /home/tc/
- ls -a (.xsession is "hidden")
- vi .xsession