WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Step by step install  (Read 4311 times)

Offline angryman

Step by step install
« on: March 29, 2009, 07:17:01 AM »
Hi!

I have problem installing (frugal or not) TC on my hd.
I will post my steps, so somebody could tell me where i make a mistake.
Actually, the only problem (for now) is that i can't manage to load downloaded TCE's when i start TC.
Because i can't configure my 3g GSM modem from "clean" TC, i first downloaded some TCE's from other computer and put them on flash thumb drive. This is the list of that TCE's:
alsa_modules.tcem
dosfstools-3.tce
gtk1.tcel
pppd.tcel
alsa.tcel
glib1.tcel
libmad.tcel
pppsetup.tce
grub-0.97-splash.tce
mpg123.tcel
bash.tce
ogg-vorbis.tcel
xmms-1.2.11.tcel
cfdisk.tce
OSS.tcem

My goal is to frugal install TC on my existing ext3 partition, with grub preinstalled, so what i did is:

1. Copied bzImage and tinycore.gz from iso to my ext3 partition (hda1)
2. Changed menu.lst like this:
    title Tinycore
    root (hd0,0)
    kernel /bzImage
    initrd /tinycore.gz
3. Rebooted, started Tinycore from grub without any boot option in kernel line
4. Pluged-in my flash drive with TCE's on it, mounted it on /mnt/sda1
5. From "desktop menu" I choose "Tools>Make tclocal file/directory" and selected /dev/hda1. **Just to say that i have tried with both options, file and directory, and still didn't managed TC to remember installed TCE's after reboot.**
6. Started "App browser" and choose "File>install local" and selected every TCE from my flash drive. **All goes well here, all programs run good**
7. Rebooted, and in grub menu choose to edit Tinycore line and added "local=hda1" to the end of kernel line, then booted Tinycore and realise that my TCE's aren't installed, just clean TC.

Where am i wrong? I want to use TC in PPI/TCE mode.

Thanks!

Offline philip

Re: Step by step install
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2009, 07:39:00 AM »
The boot option that does this job for me is "tce=hdc1", not "local=hdc1". (The local option does something else.) With "tce=hdc1", all the extensions found in directory "/dev/hdc1/tce" get installed at boot. I can put .tce* files there either from inside TC (after Step 6 of your approach) or from my other OS. Changing my "hdc" to your "hda" may work for you.

In my installation, the device name chosen by TC is different from the device name chosen by Ubuntu. The boot option you use should refer to the TC naming system. Good luck.

Offline angryman

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2009, 01:49:04 AM »
Thanks for your reply, but i am confused now.
I want to run it in PPI mode, it says on FAQ and some other posts here on forum that I should use "local" boot option, and "tce" as you suggested is for PPR mode.
I can't get TC to remember installed TCE's after reboot.

Offline mikshaw

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2009, 02:11:41 AM »
When you created the tclocal directory, it simply mounted hda1 at /mnt/hda1 and created a directory.  It did not set it up to be used as /usr/local immediately, so the extensions you installed were still installed into RAM.  You'll need to reboot before installing them (maybe this should be mentioned in the script?).

It might seem odd not to immediately use it, but it does make some sense.  If you've already got extensions installed, they would vanish when the new /usr/local is mounted.  A dev thought: Maybe the script could move the contents of /usr/ocal to /mnt/xxxx/tclocal and then mount it.  Would it be too time consuming if you have a lot in /usr/local?

Some of your extensions will need to be kept in the tce directory, since they install some or all of their files outside of /usr/local.  If an extension is listed in its info file as being "PPI compatible" you can be sure it will install entirely within /usr/local.  Otherwise it might be a case where your tclocal retains only part of the extension.