WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: tc on a secured network  (Read 2435 times)

Offline alu

tc on a secured network
« on: March 29, 2009, 11:28:37 AM »
i have a question regarding the use of tc on a secured network area: i want to use tc on a usb plugged in my computer at work, but i face the following difficulties.

1. with windows (current os on my machine), i have a kind of novell client in order to open my session; i have to type my login and my passwd as well as the name of the server to log in (i don't know the path, just the name of the server);
2. dns are fixed one, as well as ip (it seems).

i want to do it because windows is terribly slow (iexplorer crashes once open, i can't use openoffice etc.). can i do this with tc, and if yes, how. thanks for your efforts.

Offline ^thehatsrule^

• Administrator
Re: tc on a secured network
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2009, 01:56:16 PM »
1. It might be easier to ask your network admin... but here's a possibility: http://www.novell.com/products/clients/linux/overview.html
2. Usually /etc/resolv.conf can be used (or see netcardconf)

Offline alu

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2009, 02:43:57 PM »
I did ask the admins, but they don't really know much about other systems than windows. Thanks for the link, but the novell client suits the gnome or kde desktop (only, as it seems). Finally, I tried resolv.conf, but I need a login and a passwd (unless it does not work), and I don't know how to do it without the possibility to create a user account (even if I don't know if it would work that way, too). thanks anyway.

Offline ^thehatsrule^

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2009, 03:01:41 PM »
I doubt that is an actual requirement.  It could mean the libs or that that's what's officially what they will only provide support upon, etc.  Nothing's really stopping you from trying though :P

Here's something that might help: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=459717