WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Ethernet not loading on boot from CD  (Read 2598 times)

Offline suttonrls

Ethernet not loading on boot from CD
« on: March 26, 2009, 09:02:58 PM »
Hi

I am pretty much a newbie.  I like the look of Tiny Core for My laptop Acer 3660 512 MB of Ram and am not averse to learning.

Searching the net and this forum I have not been able to find a solution when ifconfig fails to report eth0.  I assumed I needed to install a module for the card.  Searched through /lib/modules/2 .?tinycore/kernel/drivers/net/phy and found marvell.ko.gz.

I uncompressed the module and ran sudo insmod marvell.ko.  It reports a failure...sad

In ubuntu the nic works with a sky2 driver.  I cannot find one on the tiny CD

I am unsure how to search the entire filesystem to find sky2.ko.gz....find seems to work in the working directory only.

Is there another module that might work to get my nic recognized.  Lspci finds the nic

With thanks

Offline ^thehatsrule^

• Administrator
Re: Ethernet not loading on boot from CD
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 09:11:37 PM »
Searching the net and this forum I have not been able to find a solution when ifconfig fails to report eth0.  I assumed I needed to install a module for the card.
That sounds like the right direction.

Searched through /lib/modules/2 .?tinycore/kernel/drivers/net/phy and found marvell.ko.gz.

I uncompressed the module and ran sudo insmod marvell.ko.  It reports a failure...sad
You shouldn't need to uncompress it.

In ubuntu the nic works with a sky2 driver.  I cannot find one on the tiny CD
Try the net-2.6.26 extension for more modules (it has sky2).

I am unsure how to search the entire filesystem to find sky2.ko.gz....find seems to work in the working directory only.
See `find --help`

Is there another module that might work to get my nic recognized.  Lspci finds the nic
You can check if a module is available for your NIC by running `lspci -k`

Offline suttonrls

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2009, 03:25:13 PM »
Hi

Thanks for the reply

Learnt more about find

find / -name sky2.ko.gz

Finds nothing
find /-name s*.ko.gz

Finds plenty but not sky2.ko.gz .You are sure its on the disk?  Did not search find / -name sky*..rats!

lspci -k  was interesting...  confirmed the marvell had no driver.  But said my wireless had a module b43-....which I tried to insmod  but it just refused to load it... saying cannot find appropriate device.  I use ndiswrapper to get it working in ubuntu
Robert

Offline ^thehatsrule^

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2009, 04:01:10 PM »
Did you load the extension first?

Offline suttonrls

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2009, 07:46:53 PM »
Hi

Sorry I did not load the extension because I don't know what it is... far less how to.  Will serch the site for extension now.

Thanks