WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: [Solved] Restore original console font  (Read 2732 times)

Offline marquitico

[Solved] Restore original console font
« on: March 04, 2011, 12:15:16 AM »
On startup, is the console font explicitly set by the boot process, and if so, which font is it, please? Or if not, how do I restore something reasonably close to it if I lose it?

I'm asking because I started using a terminal-based screen saver (the old cmatrix screensaver by Chris Allegretta). It comes with its own font, and runs quite well on TC, but when it exits, it doesn't reset the font back to what it was before. If I do something that produces a full screen's worth of output, the bottom line ends up below the lower edge of the monitor, so it seems the line height is wrong. So after using it I'd like to set the font back to normal.

To be clear, this is not in X, so I'm not referring to aterm. This is the console outside the gui.

Thank you.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 01:03:40 PM by marquitico »

Offline curaga

• Administrator
Re: Restore original console font
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 12:24:28 AM »
No, TC doesn't include any console fonts, the default is whatever the kernel sets (which is likely to be whatever your GPU has as default).

You should be able to supply your own, and load with loadfont though.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline marquitico

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2011, 12:02:00 AM »
Thank you. I thought that might be the case. I'll steal one from somewhere... ;)

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2011, 06:48:38 AM »
From the little details you mention, I have some suspicion that this could rather be an issue of an app tampering with the VGA/VESA mode and not properly resetting it to prior state after exiting.
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline marquitico

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 11:40:44 PM »
That's what I was thinking, but I'm no expert in this regard. Is there a way to reset the vga text mode at the command line that you know of? Has anyone tried the savetextmode and restoretextmode utilities from SVGAlib on TinyCore?

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 11:23:29 PM »
Something like this is what I had in mind, and actually svgalib has good documentation about such, but seems not to be available as an extension at current.

It seems to me that newer versions of apps create less issues in this regard.
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline marquitico

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2011, 01:02:44 PM »
Apparently it all depends upon the font. Just pick a good one. The console can lose the line height setting when changing the font with loadfont. Perhaps an internal font mapping problem within the font itself? Thx cur & tinyp.