WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Chipset ID 11308086  (Read 3784 times)

Offline bill41

Chipset ID 11308086
« on: March 03, 2011, 04:46:11 AM »
I'm still trying to sort out the screen resolution when I use TinyCore from Live CD on my Sony Vaio PCG-FX109K laptop.  When I load TibyCore 3.5 from the Live CD, I have tried all the vga=7xx settings on offer. None of them produce a full screen image.  Using 'tinycore xsetup' at boot produces a clear small image of what I take to be 800x600 resolution.  I  tried installing 915resolution but got the following error message:

"Intel chipset detected.  However, 915resolution was unable to determine the chipset type.  Chipset ID 11308086.  Please contact stomljen@yahoo.com (or words to that effect)"

I have sent a  message to stomljen@yahoo.com.

Is the chipset type the problem here?
What's the difference between the chipset type and the chipset ID?
Do I need to determine the chipset type and if so how?
How could I use this information to get 1400x1050 resolution on this 15 inch SXGA+ TFT screen?

This problem is not specific to running TInyCore on this machine.  Every distro I have tried to run on this Vaio gives me similar resolution and (usually) refresh rate difficulties.  I really do need to sort this out if I am to make any progress using Linux on this machine.  When it was new, about 10-12 years ago, long before I got it, this was a high end machine (Pentium III, 128MB SDRAM, 30 GB HDD)  There is lots of life in it still.  But this screen resolution problem is going to make it obsolete before its time if I can't sort it out. That would be a terrible waste of a good machine.  Any help would be much appreciated.
Cheers. Bill

PS The BIOS on my Vaio laptop  is primitive.  There are no video options and little more than the standard boot options.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 12:02:26 PM by bill41 »

Offline gutmensch

• Retired Admins
  • I can make it disappear, have no fear!
    • remembrance blog
Re: Chipset ID 11308086
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 05:32:31 AM »
You should really try to use Xorg-7.5.tcz instead of Xvesa like in base, upload your /var/log/Xorg.0.log to pastebin and let us see it. It seems to be a very special display/chipset combination so it's possible you will encounter many problems...
If I seem unduly clear to you, you must have misunderstood what I said. (Alan Greenspan)

Offline bill41

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 07:03:43 AM »
Many thanks for your help.
I have installed Xorg-7.5.tcz.  Then I ran startx from the terminal. There was a very quick screen flash but no change in the image.  But I'm not sure I have done the right thing.
/var/log/ only has 2 files in it:
autologin (which has no bytes)
wtmp

No sign of Xorg.0.log

I have not used pastebin before.  Where can I find out how to do so?

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011, 07:05:21 AM »
Do load the graphics- extension too, it's necessary for Intel chips (or the -3d xorg extension, which has that as a dep).
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline gutmensch

• Retired Admins
  • I can make it disappear, have no fear!
    • remembrance blog
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2011, 07:17:05 AM »
Ok, follow these steps to run Xorg instead of Xvesa:
1. Boot tinycore
2. Click on the exit button and choose Exit to prompt
3. Execute "tce-load -wi Xorg-7.5-3d" or "tce-load -i Xorg-7.5-3d" (depending on whether you already downloaded it or not)
4. Execute "xsetup.sh"
5. Execute "startx"

Xorg should try to start then, and afterwards there must be a file like /var/log/Xorg.0.log available. If there's no /var/log/Xorg.0.log, maybe Xorg crashed before everything (I doubt that). However, you can try to start syslogd and klogd daemons before point 3 like "sudo klogd; sudo syslogd" and post the output of /var/log/messages and eventually /var/log/syslog (don't know if it should be there).

I just mentioned pastebin as a web service where you can easily store long text files like the Xorg log, of course you can choose other solutions, but at least we'll have to see what crashes and why :)
If I seem unduly clear to you, you must have misunderstood what I said. (Alan Greenspan)

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2011, 09:52:20 AM »
Try 'vga=ask' for console mode (that will not influence Xvesa or Xorg).

Also, check your BIOS settings for display.
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline bill41

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2011, 11:56:52 AM »
I tried vga=ask but that produced the same list of resolution options as Xvesa.

I have followed your instructions, gutmensch, and they did produce the /var/log/Xorg.0.log file.  But in doing so I lost my acpi=off setting so the small screen image I now have is unstable (flashing) and the cursor is restricted to an area of about 1/3 of the screen at the lop left.   I can use ctrl+alt+F1 to get to the prompt.  How do I then restore my acpi=off setting?   Then I have to work out how to get the Xorg.0.log file to you given that I don't have a browser installed with TinyCore. (I'm sending this post from my desktop machine.) 

I should say at this point that I have managed to get Puppy Linux 5.11 running very nicely on this Vaio laptop (dual boot with Windows XP).  The Xorg Video Wizard that comes with Puppy Linux sorted out my resolution problems.  So the problem is solvable.  But I haven't managed to solve it with any other Linux distros.  Is there any way of using the Puppy Linux Xorg Video Wizard with TinyCore and other distros? I've looked at the Xorg.0.log file in my Puppy Linux but have not yet had time to do a detailed comparison with the TinyCore file.

What's the most straightforward way of getting the TinyCore Xorg.0.log file off my TinyCore setup, given that I'm only running from Live CD and have not sorted put any persistent settings, so every shutdown means a reboot and start from the beginning again?   Perhaps I need to read up a bit more about TinyCore and sort out what I need to do to set up a persistent install.

I'll find out how to use pastebin.  It looks like a good option given the size of the Xorg.0.log files.

Many thanks for all your help and suggestions.  More would be much appreciated.
Cheers
Bill

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2011, 01:48:47 PM »
USB stick?

Also, you can copy /etc/X11/xorg.conf from your puppy install to TC, as that is what the wizard likely generates.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2011, 01:56:17 PM »
Have you looked at your BIOS settings?

And from all you say, one approach would be to try to transfer settings from your /etc/X11/xorg.conf in puppy which seem to work ;)

Edit: To avoid redundancy, I guess I should have checked first when there was a red warning that other posts have been made to the thread in the meanwhile  :P
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 01:58:44 PM by tinypoodle »
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline 0000_0110

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2011, 05:30:43 PM »
I also have an ancient Sony Vaio laptop, though I guess what resolution seems to work iwth wother distros is 1024x768.      The Chipset ID is just the same.       Did you ever get it working?       
I have had a full screen but no ability to brighten or use any Funtion Keys with FN.
Also:  Puppy and Pupplets running automagicaly in full screen and good reslution.

I will try to copy xorg.conf from an old MacPup which is running like very well given the brick it's loaded on.

Again, did anything work for you?  Any news would be much appreciated.

peace

------------------------------------------------
0000_0110, but you can call me Six
-----------------------------------------------------------
0000_0110, but you can call me Six.