WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: nm-applet and keyring  (Read 1623 times)

Offline densebeast

nm-applet and keyring
« on: February 22, 2011, 07:08:33 AM »
Hi
Just installed TC on an eeepc. wicd keeps dropping my connection (I'm assuming the problem is with wicd, maybe not), so want to give desktop-manager-gnome a shot.
...start your desktop session with ck-launch-session (Console-Kit)...
Documentation on Console-Kit doesn't seem to be all that great, for my needs anyway. I have tried starting an x-session with a number of commands but cant' seem to get it right.
I don't have any desire at all in becoming well versed in the intricacies of Console Kit, I just want my nm-applet and gnome keyring to work as a normal user. Would also like to know how and where to fit a command to have all this automagically done for me on boot-up

thanks,
m

Offline Arslan S.

Re: nm-applet and keyring
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 09:09:17 AM »
you can use gnome-network-manager without gnome-keyring but your passwords won't be stored

setup NetworkManager as told in extension info
then you can start gnome applet, sudo nm-applet
but you need a panel, or systray is enough maybe

Offline densebeast

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 03:32:21 PM »
I want my password stored. Ideally I would like the network to just come up on its own on boot. I'm using LXDE by the way. I just need to know HOW to launch ck-launch-session, and where to store the command to have session started thru Console-Kit without my having to plug it in every time. I thought that it would be something like

$ ck-launch-session
$ startx --ck-launch-session
$ startx -- -ck-launch-session

something like that

bmarkus where are you?

Offline Arslan S.

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 02:52:44 AM »
gnome desktop and kde desktop is started with
ck-launch-session gnome-session and ck-launch-session startkde

in the past i tried what you are trying now but couldn't manage to make gnome-keyring daemon and authentication work properly
they are working very good in gnome session and kde session, i would suggest to examine lubuntu
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 03:00:11 AM by Arslan S. »