Author Topic: Can I get persistence with a fugal install from the iso?  (Read 2380 times)

Offline tom4jean

Can I get persistence with a fugal install from the iso?
« on: March 25, 2009, 11:11:44 AM »
Greetings,

By using Puppy Linux and the ROX-filer in Puppy I mounted the tinycore .iso and I dragged and copied the "boot" folder from the tinycore iso  onto my ext3 formated storage hd.
I then edited my menu.lst in my preexisting grub like so;

title tinycore
rootnoverify (hd1,0)
kernel /boot/bzImage quiet
initrd /boot/tinycore.gz

This is the standard way I do a frugal install for Puppy Linux, and it worked great for tinycore also.
I booted into tinycore with no problem at all.

The issue I now have is how do I make the persistent storage partition, since by installing and booting tinycore in this way I don't get the option of putting in any boot options like tce=hdXY  to create my PPR and thereby archiving persistence and loading of tce/tcz modules?
When I boot the message just goes quickly by on the screen that the "boot options were checked" but it does not let me put any in.

Or is this way of installing only going to give me the "cloud" install and I will have to burn and boot the CD to install and get persistence with boot options?

Incidentally, I am just trying tinycore after reading Robert's interview on Distrowatch and I love his concepts with the option of building up my own system and picking what packages I want to load with a clean boot each time.
The one pet peeve (no pun intended) I always had with Puppy is all the applications included that I never used.
tinycore looks very promising.

Thanks,
Tom

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
Re: Can I get persistence with a fugal install from the iso?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 11:16:39 AM »
With a frugal install, you boot options will be on the kernel line, like this

kernel /boot/bzImage quiet tce=hda2/tcz max_loop=222

That is like using the prompt with the live cd.

HTH

JW

Offline mikshaw

Re: Can I get persistence with a fugal install from the iso?
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2009, 12:20:30 PM »
If it goes by too fast, you can increase the "timeout" number (in seconds) listed at or near the top of menu.lst

You can also temporarily edit the GRUB configuration at runtime if you want, which gives the same result as if you had a "boot:" line in a CD (it's just a little more complicated).
Oddly this feature is not explained (just very briefly mentioned) in the GRUB manual, but it's explained on this page
http://grumpymole.blogspot.com/2007/05/ubuntu-how-to-edit-grub-boot-parameters.html