WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: TinyCore 3.5 - xserver issue after Virtualbox installation  (Read 3938 times)

Offline knightrous

TinyCore 3.5 - xserver issue after Virtualbox installation
« on: February 15, 2011, 12:19:26 AM »
Hi,

I'm rather new to TC, only started experimenting with it yesterday when looking at a suitable setup for a near bare metal virtualisation for home use.Anyway, I've run into an issue where, when I rebooted after setting up my TC install with Virtualbox, it lunched itself an no longer runs xserver and just leaves me sitting at CLI. The hardware is a Toshiba Tecra A4 (1.5Ghz Celeron, 1024MB RAM, 40GB HDD), an old machine, but it's reliable.

I installed TC3.5, Virtualbox, rebooted, created a windows xp vm, then created an ubuntu vm, shut down the system, went to lunch, powered the system on and ended up in CLI. Running the startx command as user or root does nothing. I noticed there are a few errors that occur during boot, something about an ACPI conflict and the vbox usergroup.

I made a quick video of the boot up here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7ktBUy2h7E
By installing virtualbox as an 'on boot' application instead of an 'on demand' application, does this mean the errors related to Vbox are stopping xserver from loading or initialising correctly?

Offline knightrous

Re: TinyCore 3.5 - xserver issue after Virtualbox installation
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2011, 01:42:23 AM »
I have just done another video showing the boot up process without the 'quiet' option enables in grub boot menu.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjnt2SNEnBw

Offline Arslan S.

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011, 01:42:41 AM »
vbox depends on xorg do u have xorg installed ?
also virtualbox-ose extension install script creates vboxusers group and adds user to the group
it maybe a busybox bug maybe because it is updated with tc 3.5
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 01:48:04 AM by Arslan S. »

Offline knightrous

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2011, 02:01:44 AM »
I installed virtualbox-ose from the Appbrowser.
I'm 99% sure I saw xorg7.5 download with the other dependencies when I installed it.

Busybox bug  :-\ I might have to download TC3.4 to see if I can replicate the problem  ;D

Offline Arslan S.

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2011, 02:29:14 AM »
I installed virtualbox-ose from the Appbrowser.
I'm 99% sure I saw xorg7.5 download with the other dependencies when I installed it.

Busybox bug  :-\ I might have to download TC3.4 to see if I can replicate the problem  ;D

virtualbox has no relation with xserver starting problem, you may have to configure xorg before running it

you can create a config file by
Code: [Select]
sudo Xorg -configurethen move the new config file to /etc/X11/xorg.conf

can you attach these two files here please
/tmp/wm_errors
/var/log/Xorg.0.log
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 02:31:44 AM by Arslan S. »

Offline knightrous

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2011, 04:07:13 AM »

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2011, 07:14:45 AM »
This is not the first user bitten by virtualbox changing the X server, Arslan would you add a warning to the info file?

@knightrous:
Your first boot ran Xvesa, virtualbox installed Xorg, an X server change only takes effect after an X restart or a reboot.
Current Xorg on an Intel chip will not run without KMS, ie you need to load the graphics- extension and reboot.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline Arslan S.

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2011, 11:10:09 AM »
This is not the first user bitten by virtualbox changing the X server, Arslan would you add a warning to the info file?

but then you have to put a warning to every extension's info that depends directly or indirectly on xorg right ?

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2011, 11:46:17 AM »
Yes, I would rather have one extra line in those extensions than not. At least the users will know what to look for when the X server changes.

Btw, how many of those are there?
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2011, 12:55:43 PM »
+1

[in response to the first line, not the second one  :P ]
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline knightrous

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2011, 06:01:55 PM »
I ended up doing a quick reinstall using TC3.4.1
When I installed virtualbox-ose from the appbrowser, it downloaded a lot of other dependencies that didn't download the last time I tried this (IE: python, openssl, tcl). I'm guessing it was also downloading updates for TC?

Anyway, using TC3.4.1 hasn't had the Xorg problem, even after 5-6 reboots with a fair bit of Vbox'ing in between :) I made a quick video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEUw01HQXx4

Now to just work out what is causing the problem when running TC3.5. I might try to install this configuration onto my EEE 701 and see if it has the same issues.

Offline jls

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2011, 08:07:53 PM »
I use vbox
dCore user