WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Gtk 3.0  (Read 2235 times)

Offline Jason W

• Retired Admins
Gtk 3.0
« on: February 12, 2011, 08:19:23 PM »
Gtk 3.0 is now stable.  It is supposed to be able to be installed and used alongside 2.x.   I think it is not too early to start discussing an upgrade path, whether done in place or by moving altogether to the new Gtk 3.0 with the next major TC version.  Given the recent python situation (which there are still some lingering issues being found), and python is also theoretically able to have multiple versions installed alongside each other, I am leaning towards a clean break with a future TC version than I am to try for us to work it in mid-release.   Gtk 3.0 uses the same version of supporting libs at this point as Gtk 2.x, so it is not quite the same clean separation that happened with Gtk 1.x and Gtk 2.x.

Of course, Python 3.x and Openssl 1.x are also stable.  Perhaps the next major TC version would be the time to kind of start from scratch with the upgrades as all three of these major milestones have been reached.   I would like to hear what the extension makers think on this.

Frank

Re: Gtk 3.0
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 09:55:53 PM »
[...] moving altogether to the new Gtk 3.0 with the next major TC version.

Gtk 3 is not a replacement for Gtk 2. They are separate toolkits. Trying to compile, for example, Leafpad (the editor) on a machine with Gtk 3 (but not Gtk 2) installed yields:

Checking for GTK... no
configure: error: Package requirements (gtk+-2.0) were not met:

Offline Jason W

• Retired Admins
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 11:07:21 PM »
Here is the issue I see.  Say, libbonobo will compile against gtk2 and gtk3.  Gtk2 version is in the repo as libbonobo.tcz.  Now a gtk3 version is in the repo as libbonobo3.tcz.  They both have the same files though built against different versions of gtk.  So if an app depends on the version built against gtk3, if the gtk2 version is already installed, then the gtk3 version will not install cleanly and result in errors when using it as a dep.  The gtk2 and gtk3 extensions themselves are separate and don't conflict, but many of their deps may.

It has yet to see how the file conflicts will play out, but I just think we should use caution before submitting gtk3 stuff to the repo before we have a plan. 

Offline Arslan S.

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011, 02:09:00 AM »
gtk3 suffix better suits naming conventions, see for example ripperx-gtk1, seamonkey-gtk1.tcz