WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Devil worship in the church of TC !  (Read 3113 times)

Offline chopper

Devil worship in the church of TC !
« on: January 23, 2011, 06:03:34 PM »
I dont know if anyone can (or will!) help me understand this as it is to do with installing to HD, a "scatter install".

Ive got things to work, but when I reboot the computer (an eeepc 900) some files still get changed.

What I do after a reboot now, is:

1) edit /opt/.tce_dir to contain "/tce" as opposed to "/tmp/tce" (it always gets rewritten with /tmp/tce after a reboot).

2) rm -rf /usr/local/tce.installed/* (cant reinstall apps without doing this as Apps (on wbar) says that things are already installed).

3) reinstall apps using Apps on wbar.

After reinstalling wicd and chromium-browser from my local /tce/optional their settings files all remain, that is I dont have to reput my wireless hex key and chrome still has my bookmarks/history etc.

I was wondering if anyone knows if I can do something with this scatter install, so as to not have to reinstall programs every boot ?

Thanks.

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
Re: Devil worship in the church of TC !
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 06:14:09 PM »
1. You do not have a persistent tce directory.
2. You do not use onboot with scatter mode, as you install each extension only once.
3. You have to stop doing backup/restore, or at least do not backup persistent directories.

Please read the docs:
http://www.tinycorelinux.com/concepts.html
http://wiki.tinycorelinux.com/tiki-index.php

Offline chopper

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2011, 06:09:07 AM »
Hi gerald and thanks for the info.
I thought I have got a persistent tce directory, in my boot options Ive got:

tce=/dev/sda1/tce

There arent any apps in the onboot list in AppsAudit.

I have renamed the files filestool.lst and xfilestool.lst to have "_old" appended to their names, and when rebooting I choose "None" from backup options. Ive also got "norestore" as  a boot option... not sure about having that? but it doesnt seem to make a difference in this install.

Its a bit hard to follow the docs, but Ive read them a few times to try and understand the Tao of TC.

When I boot up now, the wicdNetworkManager menu entry (on right click on desktop) remains, although "sudo wicd-start" has errors about not being able to find wicd. The chrome menu entry disappears every boot though :/
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 06:11:17 AM by chopper »

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2011, 07:12:54 AM »
I believe you got the syntax wrong, should be:
Code: [Select]
tce=sda1
However, mixing a scatter install with a PPR might lead to even more unpredictable results than a pure scatter install, YMMV.
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline hiro

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2011, 07:38:40 AM »
Pure scatter - Yeah, I'd like some ;)

Offline chopper

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2011, 09:02:58 AM »
However, mixing a scatter install with a PPR might lead to even more unpredictable results than a pure scatter install, YMMV.

Good man! this could be what is wrong. Instead of using /tce I need to do, something else.

A strange thing with wicd is that when the computer boots up, there are wicd and wicd-start in /usr/local/sbin/ they arent symbolic links, but when running wicd-start script it says it cant find wicd, which is right next to it in the same directory... infact trying to run wicd directly says it cant find wicd...

Offline hiro

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2011, 06:33:06 PM »
cat `which wicd`

This extension sucks. Perhaps it doesn't find python?

Offline chopper

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2011, 07:11:34 AM »
Thats what it was hiro, it couldnt find lib python. Ive got rid of wicd now and use a little bash script from another computer with iwconfig, its much easier.

Programs are still not sticking around properly after a reboot yet though, Ill have some time later tonight to have a further look and see if I can understand whats going on.

Thanks for all the replies on this sacrilegious thread.