WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: opera: fixed window size and true type fonts  (Read 9248 times)

Offline tinypoodle

Re: opera: fixed window size and true type fonts
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2011, 09:35:31 PM »
I'm not sure if this is relevant, but I just noticed when I open opera from aterm I get:
ERROR: ld.so: object 'libjvm.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.
ERROR: ld.so: object 'libawt.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.
edit: I just did a search and it looks like both errors are java related.

It is totally irrelevant to anything else than having java work in opera.
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline nObRaIn

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2011, 07:40:22 PM »
I'm sorry for the late reply, I've been a bit busy but I'm still trying to find a solution.

So I tried with fontconfig loaded and some tt fonts in ~/.fonts but it is still not working. Unfortunately I can't realy try booting with 'base' right now as I don't have access to a wired network but I will give it a try tommorow just to make sure nothing gets in the way.

Apart from fontconfig I only have wpa_supplicant, ntfs-3g and firmware-iwlwifi loaded on boot, and ofcourse all of their deps (expat2, openssl, wireless_tools, wireless). Other than that, my setup is a basic tc 3.4. Is there anything else that could be causing the issue? or anything more I could test?

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2011, 09:25:50 PM »
Well, personally I use the same ~/.fonts under various Linux systems since many years.

So, in the dir where the real font files reside I ran mkfontdir and mkfontscale, which would result in:

Code: [Select]
tc@box:~$ ls -Ll .fonts/fon*
-rw-r--r--    1 tc       staff       46511 Jul  8  2010 .fonts/fonts.dir
-rw-r--r--    1 tc       staff       46511 Jul  8  2010 .fonts/fonts.scale

I do not know if that even should or would make a difference or not with fontconfig.tcz loaded.

P.S.: this procedure would only have to be repeated when content of the dir gets changed.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 09:39:18 PM by tinypoodle »
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2011, 02:35:40 AM »
Did another experiment to check that.

boot 'base'
mkdir .fonts
cd /pathto/myfonts
cp  a* b* c* d* ... z* /home/tc/.fonts #all fonts, excluding fonts.dir & fonts.scale
tce-load -i opera10.tcz #auto loads fontconfig.tcz as dependency, amongst others
opera

--> installed fonts all available, antialiasing present

Offline nObRaIn

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2011, 03:21:44 PM »
I did get the opportunity to experiment a little with tc base today, but I still can't replicate any of your results.

I did load Xorg-fonts and fontconfig and then tried loading opera and opera10 (not at the same time). In both cases the fonts were not available in opera. I then tried loading chromium-browser that I remember trying some time ago with ttfs, and it did work right away. Opera (both versions actually) is also using the new fonts after loading chromium, so it seems that I need one (or more) of chromium's deps in order to use ttf fonts.

Does any of that sound reasonable? and if so, what can be different between two tc setups when loaded with 'base'?

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2011, 03:48:29 PM »
FWIW, running 2.10 here, and my last test had been executed with restored backup - except from replacing the .fonts link with a dir and copying fonts to exclude the availability of fonts.dir & fonts.scale.

I had a peek at deps of chromium-browser (yikes at size), and on a mild suspicion, give libxft.tcz a try (libxft is included in 2.10 base and in chromium-browser deps) and report back.

Offline nObRaIn

« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2011, 05:33:13 PM »
Thanks for that. I didn't really know where to start trying all of chromium's deps. Loading libxft did the trick though. It would be a good idea updating opera's info after that.

Thank you all for the help, I really appreciate it.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2011, 05:37:13 PM »
Thanks for that. I didn't really know where to start trying all of chromium's deps. Loading libxft did the trick though. It would be a good idea updating opera's info after that.

Updated.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2011, 06:30:41 PM »
libxft - being a dep of gtk2 - could also be a plausible explanation why juanito reported fonts working after installing gtk2.

nObRaIn,
glad you finally got it to work, and hopefully this info will benefit others; adding a [SOLVED] to subject of first post of thread could not harm  ;)

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2011, 02:25:15 PM »