WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Replacing flwm with icewm  (Read 3520 times)

Offline jrm7262

Replacing flwm with icewm
« on: December 18, 2010, 03:49:35 PM »
Hi All,

Has anyone replaced flwm with icewm? (or point me in the direction of how to do this in tinycore)

And can flwm then be removed?

(My tinycore resides on a 30Mb sd card and runs on an Asus T91. Have got wifi working and dillo works well as a browser.)

Kindest regards
James

Offline tinypoodle

Re: Replacing flwm with icewm
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2010, 04:57:49 PM »
You would have to remaster tinycore.gz to remove flwm.
My estimation would be that you gain ~50KB by that.

icewm incl. dependencies takes up 4.29MB of space, so you should think well, if that is desirable on a 30MB card.
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2010, 05:36:33 PM »
Use microcore instead of tinycore.
copy Xlibs.gz, Xprogs.gz and Xvesa.gz into your persistent tce directory.
Then install icewm to start onboot.

Offline jrm7262

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2010, 07:49:00 AM »
Thanks for the replys.

Kindest regards
James

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2010, 08:38:53 AM »
Some sizes of wm's without resp. with dependencies are listed in following post resp. next after it:
http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php?topic=7489.msg43666#msg43666

If flwm is too minimal for you, you might still find a wm being smaller than icewm, as you seem to be very restricted with storage space.

Unfortunately you do not mention how much RAM you dispose of, perhaps it would be more wise to run in default (internet/cloud) mode and then the size of icewm might not be an issue.
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline jrm7262

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2010, 09:18:58 AM »
Hi All,

So now have installed microcore and added X and stuck with flwm for now.
With dillo, parted, wifi and flit, it takes up under 16Mb on my 32Mb (actually 29Mb) sdcard. Starting to become a very usable rescue system in such a small space.

Just wanted to see if a working distro could be put on my old sdcard that came free with a camera. So far very impressed although installing forced me to plug in an ethernet cable (haven't used one of those in years) and getting my head around the practicalities of the tinycore concepts must be making new synaptic connections in my brain. The most interesting bit - having to tell the system not to lose changes that have been made.

So now more questions:

Would switching between using xvesa, xorg and xfbdev be a case of installing each in turn and removing the others?

And would this be the same process to try different windows managers, from tinywm all the way to my personal favourite icewm?

Kindest regards
James

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2010, 01:08:31 PM »
You ignored the part about disposable RAM, but certainly it would be out of the question to add Xorg to your remaining 13MB of storage space.

Offline jrm7262

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2010, 02:03:56 PM »
Apologies,

1gb of ram to play with.

Hadn't realised Xorg was so big.

My next decision whether to fill my remaining space with Rox-filer or Gparted.

Kindest regards
James