WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Which extensions should I load?  (Read 10522 times)

Offline tinypoodle

Re: Which extensions should I load?
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2010, 05:55:43 PM »
Have you tried to access with a webbrowser?
(Also see edit of my last post).
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline maro

« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2010, 11:08:14 PM »
(1) The 'fritz.box' is not a public internet address. It is a rather clever way of this router (i.e. the FRITZ!Box) to use it's own DNS server to point to itself so that the users don't have to remember the IP address (e.g. 192.168.178.1).

(2) The http://ftp://... is a (known) weakness of the forum software: it turns 'ftp://...' into 'http://ftp://...' TIP: Encapsulating the address in single quotes should work (e.g. 'ftp//fritz.box/SanDisk-U3CruzerMicro-01/exchange/').

(3) The 'ftpput' and 'ftpget' applets for BusyBox do not support the listing of file names, so it's not as comfortable as the use of a browser (or the "standard" FTP client). But one can still use them provided one knows the file name, e.g. ftpput fritz.box SanDisk-U3CruzerMicro-01/exchange/FileToTransfer FileToTransfer should work to send a file to the USB pendrive on the FRITZ!Box and ftpget fritz.box FileToTransfer SanDisk-U3CruzerMicro-01/exchange/FileToTransfer should work to retrieve a file. Please note the rather weird order of the local and remote file names in 'ftpput HOST REMOTE LOCAL' and 'ftpget HOST LOCAL REMOTE'.

(4) A rather minimal FTP client is available via the 'cftp-0.12.tcz' extension. I had to use echo 'set passive 1' > ~/.cftprc to make it work in my setup, but then cftp fritz.box was working quite well. Mind you the help screens are all a bit minimalist, but it allows to tag a group of files (with 't') and then download the lot (with 'D'). HINT: to see the key mappings use 'H' followed by 'K'.

EDIT: Added (4)
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 11:23:12 PM by maro »

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2010, 01:06:49 AM »
(1) The 'fritz.box' is not a public internet address. It is a rather clever way of this router (i.e. the FRITZ!Box) to use it's own DNS server to point to itself so that the users don't have to remember the IP address (e.g. 192.168.178.1).

1. "public IP range" was in reference to IP reported by OP (can't connect to remote host (62.157.140.133): Connection refused), I did not use the term "address".

2. Perhaps thats a conditionally clever way, but it could only work if the client OS would rely on that router as its DNS server.
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline floppy

« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2010, 07:02:32 AM »
Have you tried to access with a webbrowser?
(Also see edit of my last post).
yes. Opera. Dont work.
AMD K6-IIIATZ 550MHz MB DFI K6xv3/+66
P4 HP DC7100 3GB 3GHz
Samsung NC10 boot from SD card port (via USB reader)
.. all TinyCore proofed

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2010, 01:32:52 PM »
"Dont work" doesn't help much with diagnosis, but I suspect you have some kind of routing issue in the broader sense, systemwide.

Offline floppy

« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2010, 06:01:51 AM »
"Dont work" doesn't help much with diagnosis, but I suspect you have some kind of routing issue in the broader sense, systemwide.
the very very short status "Dont work" changed..
I putted "ftp://fritz.box/SanDisk-U3CruzerMicro-01/" into Opera, then it indicated "cannot find ..", but when I put "ftp://fritz.box/SanDisk-U3CruzerMicro-01" it works !.
So, I could get files from there and download them to my pc.
For the other way = put files into the adress "ftp://..", I will probably have to use "cftp" ? Or a menu in Opera can do it?
P4 HP DC7100 3GB 3GHz
.. all TinyCore proofed

Offline david.w

« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2010, 08:40:29 AM »
Hi, firefox works fine with ftp or even gopher. dont know about opera though.

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2010, 11:12:09 PM »
Do you say you can upload files via ftp with firefox?
AFAIK not possible with opera.
ftpput should work, if the paths are specified right.

Offline floppy

« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2011, 08:25:02 AM »
Do you say you can upload files via ftp with firefox?
AFAIK not possible with opera.
ftpput should work, if the paths are specified right.
downloading files with Opera runs fine.
ftpput is fine, too.
Curaga informed cftp dont have a GUI.
So now, any proposal for a file transfer with basic GUI? (not firefox = too fat, and not filezilla = not starting at my pc).
« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 12:36:09 PM by floppy »
P4 HP DC7100 3GB 3GHz
.. all TinyCore proofed

Offline floppy

« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2011, 02:03:50 PM »
after re-installing, filezilla runs now. But is really fat. Is there not a more simple ftp GUI (like links I am using by tipping this post)
P4 HP DC7100 3GB 3GHz
.. all TinyCore proofed

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2011, 02:21:59 PM »
How about mc?

Offline floppy

« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2011, 03:54:48 PM »
definitively choosen: mc (to be started in a terminal with mc -x). So now, i clean my pc from filezilla (it started! but takes soooo long time for appearing on my old machine). a pity that i did not test it before: this was already suggested before in this thread. sorry for that.
P4 HP DC7100 3GB 3GHz
.. all TinyCore proofed