WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: chromium 6: flash not working?  (Read 2026 times)

Offline jur

• cycling photo essays
chromium 6: flash not working?
« on: October 31, 2010, 09:45:42 PM »
Just today suddenly ( not sure when it started) I tried to view a youtube video but chromium reports flash is not installed (flash10 is actually installed).

Any similar problems?

Offline Arslan S.

Re: chromium 6: flash not working?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2010, 02:30:54 AM »
chromium 7 is available in repository, and there is no flash issue for me

you need to create a symlink in /usr/local/chromium-browser-addons/plugins to libflashplayer.so wherever it is

Offline jur

• cycling photo essays
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2010, 04:04:26 AM »
OK, once I created the symlink it works... but this used to be an auto thing with the flash10.tcz in the past? What changed?

Offline Arslan S.

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2010, 04:10:31 AM »
nothing has changed in handling of flash, install script still the same for a long time

check /usr/local/tce.installed/chromium-browser and permissions

i think the problem is when flash10.tcz is loaded after chromium-browser, install script does not create symlinks
if so play with your onboot.list a bit to see if it helps
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 04:17:38 AM by Arslan S. »

Offline Jason W

• Retired Admins
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2010, 07:04:18 AM »
I now use the MOZ_PLUGIN_PATH variable in the run-mozilla.sh file for the firefox browsers instead of relying on symlinking.  That way the getflash script is not having to be constantly updated with any changes to extensions.

The getflash script also creates a /usr/lib/mozilla directory if not existing, and symlinks /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins (if not existing) to /usr/local/lib/mozilla/plugins (now our standard mozilla plugin directory and where libflashplayer.so is linked to).  Since chromium recognizes and uses /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins, the getflash and resulting flash.tcz should work whether installed before or after chromium.    But you may have to run the getflash script again to fetch the latest copy, though it has not changed in a while. 

But if you have already created and populated a /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins directory, that will prevent the linking of it to /usr/local/lib/mozilla/plugins, but in that case it is assumed you know what you are doing.