Author Topic: noob - lack of understanding - no network, no persistence  (Read 2586 times)

Offline gurpal2000

noob - lack of understanding - no network, no persistence
« on: March 13, 2009, 04:06:41 PM »
Hi
Here goes. Disclaimer: i dont fully understand the various options. Please advise what fits this scenario:

1. i download the iso in windows and used unetbootin to write the iso to a usb pendrive.
2. when i boot off it, i get 2 options in the ubootin loader: Default and tinycore
3. normally i just select Default and i get the desktop
4. i have a marvel yukon gigabit via controller. live cds usually detect it as "skge" or something similar

Now here's the chicken and egg: i cant download any "modules" because the net isn't working.

5. i download the velocity tcem and others via windows earlier to a folder on the pendrive itself under "drivers". the folder is slap bang in the root of the flash drive

6. im able to mount the flash manually (thought TC would do this automagically) by doing:

mount /dev/sdd1 /mnt/disk   (of course i had to first create /mnt/disk)

7. then when i go to the App browser and select my various tces it says that it's installed etc. but nothing actually works/happens. (or what is supposed to happen?)

So to cut it short: i need everything to exist on the usb drive. and any downloaded modules etc. Once i have  the network card working theni guess "cloud" mode works? or not?

am i doing this the right way? i tried adding tce=sdd1/drivers to the line in ubootin under Default on the cmd line but im not sure why i need to do that or even if i;m doing it right,

basically need a line by line idiots guide. Im basically learning about linux andam interested in making this work on older computers.

Thanks

Offline danielibarnes

Re: noob - lack of understanding - no network, no persistence
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2009, 05:06:08 PM »
"mount /dev/sdd1 /mnt/disk" shouldn't be necessary. You can simply "mount /dev/sdd1" and it will be mounted automatically on /mnt/sdd1. This is a nice feature of TC.

Another feature is that it will search for a directory in which to load and store extensions. Create a /tce directory on the root of any partition and TC will detect and use it. Otherwise, I think the extensions are downloaded to /tmp/tce (which uses RAM and goes away when you reboot).

It sounds like you understand the tce boot parameter. On one machine I store them in a particular directory on hda6, so my boot parameter is tce=hda6/extensions/typical. On another, I store them in the root partition of the HDD, so that one is tce=sda1. It sounds like your setup should work, although most extensions install quietly without the fanfare one is used to in Windows.

As a side note, I got TC running great on a 64MB P5-166.

Daniel
« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 05:09:49 PM by danielibarnes »

Offline softwaregurl

• Suspended
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2009, 11:55:14 PM »
You will also need to modprobe the network card after loading the extension.
Code: [Select]
sudo modprobe skgeconfirm it loaded correctly with
lsmodand/or
dmesg(also in system stats in the control panel).  helpful information would be
modinfo skgeOnce you know the command to load the module you need you can put that in /opt/bootlocal.sh which goes in your backup by default.  If you need to use DHCP or static IP that can be enabled in the control panel with Netcardconfig which I believe will also become part of your backup.  Entering sdd1 in Backup/Restore in the control panel should create an auto scanned backup so this all happens on reboots.  You may also need a short delay after modprobing your card such as
sleep 5edit: You may also need
waitusb=5 on your boot options if yoour usb drive is slow.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2009, 12:11:17 AM by softwaregurl »
Old wounds that have never healed need to be re-exposed before the cure can be applied.  The cure must be available before the wound is re-exposed.

Offline gurpal2000

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009, 04:46:31 PM »
thanks everyone i'll give this a try (been busy with other projects!)