WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Profiling application execution?  (Read 1838 times)

Offline medvedm

Profiling application execution?
« on: August 25, 2010, 10:57:51 AM »
Ok, since absolutely every question I've asked on this forum has been ignored, let me try a different approach.

I'd like to use tinycore on my project, but I need to be able to profile the system, meaning I need to understand how much CPU and memory my applications are using while they are running.  How would any of you do this?

I've tried getting lttng to work in tinycore and it has been a disaster.  I imagine someone else out there has wanted to figure out how much CPU is being used?  and top is not nearly good enough, I need history over many seconds, not just one second snapshots.  Something graphical, that I can capture data from and save, and use in reports.

Almost all commercial OSes (QNX, VxWorks, etc) come with this kind of stuff out of the box and I am having an awful time finding anything close in the linux community.  (that works!)

M

Offline tinypoodle

Re: Profiling application execution?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2010, 11:51:36 AM »
Example of how I might do it - but then that's not graphical...:
Code: [Select]
watch 'top |grep Xvesa' > Xvesa.log
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2010, 11:59:39 AM »
Béla
Ham Radio callsign: HA5DI

"Amateur Radio: The First Technology-Based Social Network."

Offline medvedm

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 09:40:29 AM »
Thanks for the info.  So lets say I want to use the program mpstat, and I don't see it in any tinycore module, what are my options?  Obviously in ubuntu, i just do apt-get install sysstat, but now what for tinycore?

Thanks!
M

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010, 09:44:18 AM »
Thanks for the info.  So lets say I want to use the program mpstat, and I don't see it in any tinycore module, what are my options?  Obviously in ubuntu, i just do apt-get install sysstat, but now what for tinycore?

Thanks!
M

1) Compile it yourself and make a .tcz extension of it. having mpstat.tcz makes your life easier. If you are satisfied with the extension and it is compliant to TC/MC requirements, submit it to the repo. It is highly appreciated.

2) Or wait till someone else is doing 1)

For information how to make extensions see WIKI.
Béla
Ham Radio callsign: HA5DI

"Amateur Radio: The First Technology-Based Social Network."