WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: OSS Odd Behaviour  (Read 2274 times)

Offline SamK

OSS Odd Behaviour
« on: July 27, 2010, 10:52:44 AM »
I have an old (9-12 months) version 2.something TC which uses the OSS sound driver.  The apps have never been updated. On multiple machines the audio has always worked well and still does.

A couple of days ago I created a new TC on a USB flash drive again using the OSS sound drivers.  When used on the same machines as mentioned above, this build exhibits audio crackles/clicks on a cycle of approximately 5-6 seconds and a lower volume is produced.  This is heard with different players (MPlayer and VLC). 

Changing to alsa sound drivers the distortion disappears and the volume is produced at the expected level when playing the same source material.

Has the OSS extension changed in the last few months?  How to cure the problem?

Offline curaga

• Administrator
Re: OSS Odd Behaviour
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 03:17:13 PM »
Is your stick on 3.0? OSS was updated to latest version of the time with the kernel update.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline SamK

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 07:15:40 PM »
Is your stick on 3.0? OSS was updated to latest version of the time with the kernel update.
Yes, the recent build on the USB flash drive is TC version 3.0.

Offline SamK

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 02:23:57 AM »
Any news on this one?  I would really like to continue using OSS for the project I am working on but currently it is not practical given the noise produced and the output level.

Offline 3rail

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2010, 10:48:14 AM »
what happens when you run osstest?

Offline SamK

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2010, 02:19:37 PM »
what happens when you run osstest?
The test is passed in that left, right and both speakers provide audio output.

The problem I am reporting is not that OSS does not work, rather that with TC  3 it produces crackles/clicks on a 5-6 second cycle on a range of hardware and various source material.  On the same hardware and source material OSS performs flawlessly using TC 2.8.

On TC 3 if OSS is removed from OnBoot and replaced with Alsa the audio is flawless on the same range of hardware and using the same audio files.

It seems to indicate that the issue is based in OSS and curaga has mentioned that the last kernel update included a change in the version of OSS.