WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Upgrading an without using an .iso  (Read 1622 times)

Offline destroyedlolo

• destroyedlolo's website
Upgrading an without using an .iso
« on: June 26, 2010, 06:59:11 PM »
Hi all,

I'm running TC 2.11.3 which is installed on my hda1 partition (tce, home and so on are on hda6 but it's out of the scope) and I would like to upgrade to latest 2.11.5 :
Can I only update files bzImage and tinycore.gz from ftp site at distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/tinycorelinux/2.x/release/distribution_files/ and reboot ?

What is the best practice for that ?

Thanks

Laurent
« Last Edit: June 27, 2010, 04:58:09 PM by destroyedlolo »

Offline curaga

• Administrator
Re: Upgrading an without using an .iso
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2010, 07:05:13 PM »
Yes. You can overwrite while running, they are only accessed at boot.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline maro

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2010, 07:09:34 PM »
It should be enough to just replace your current 'tinycore.gz' with the "latest and greatest" one. The kernel (i.e. 'bzImage') has not been changed so you won't need to touch it. Since a few days a checksum file (i.e. ' tinycore.gz.md5.txt') is present to ensure your download has worked OK.

PS: Please try to manually correct the URL in your OP, as this 'http://ftp://...' is not going to work. I never had this problem myself, but some other people ran into it beforehand, so you might want to search the forum for what they did to overcome the issue.

Offline destroyedlolo

• destroyedlolo's website
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2010, 04:57:37 PM »
Ok, thanks for the confirmation.

PS: Please try to manually correct the URL in your OP, as this 'http://ftp://...' is not going to work. I never had this problem myself, but some other people ran into it beforehand, so you might want to search the forum for what they did to overcome the issue.

I didn't found on the forum a way to correct that. I removed the ftp: url but it's only a workaround.

Bye

Laurent