WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: alsa issues  (Read 18389 times)

Offline jpeters

• Restricted
Re: alsa issues
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2009, 03:52:16 PM »
Okay....I submitted the smaller skype_support files with a link to the skype download site,
so people can choose the OSS or alsa versions.  I never saw the OSS version before today,
so (unless I just missed it), it's a recent addition.  I tried it, and it works nicely with OSS. The support
files  work for either version.  Jason emailed an interesting download script  that perhaps he'll post.

Offline jpeters

• Restricted
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2009, 01:32:00 AM »
Comparing alsa with OSS, OSS is the clear winner for my soundcard. OSS allows multiple audio streams to be running simultaneously, in addition to making phone calls with skype.  Alsa allows only one stream, and anything subsequent is silent or freezes up. This may be unique with my AC '97 AudioControler. The sound quality also seems much better with OSS. 

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2009, 03:00:27 AM »
Just to be doubly sure - you mean oss as in Curaga's extension is much better than the alsa-oss compatibility mode, right?

For me oss "just works", the only reason I built the alsa extension was to enable a bluetooth headset as bt does not have the option of working with oss...

Offline jpeters

• Restricted
« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2009, 03:46:39 AM »
Just to be doubly sure - you mean oss as in Curaga's extension is much better than the alsa-oss compatibility mode, right?

For me oss "just works", the only reason I built the alsa extension was to enable a bluetooth headset as bt does not have the option of working with oss...

Yes, oss as in "open sound system." (Curaga's extension).  Maybe it's just that it works better on older devices. 
« Last Edit: February 09, 2009, 03:54:11 AM by jpeters »