WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Virtualizer in TCL repositories?  (Read 3356 times)

Offline dpeirce

Virtualizer in TCL repositories?
« on: March 24, 2009, 11:49:08 PM »
Hi all. I stumbled across Tiny Core Linux through the DistroWatch interview with Robert Shingledecker; sad about DSL - I've used it off and on for several years. But in looking over the TinyCore home page, I couldn't find any virtualizers in the TCL repositories.

Is a virtualizer available for TCL? I favor Qemu/KVM, but Virtualbox is also good.

I'm interested in finding a very small footprint distro on which to run a virtual machine for the purpose of experimenting with multiple distros and many different kinds of software. This kind of experimenting results in a lot of breakage... and reinstalling is soooooo much easier in a virtual machine. Right now I'm having some success using Antix-M8 as my virtualization base, but TCL looks like it could be an even smaller footprint distro. Smaller footprint equals more RAM for the guests.

My base distro only needs to run the simplest web browser, text editor, and file manager. Anything else can be done in a guest.

Is TCL is good base distro for my purpose? Or, can you recommend something better and I'll try TCL as a guest.

In faith, Dave
Viva Texas

Take the Pepsi challenge -- choose Linux.

Offline roberts

• Retired Admins
  • Founder Emeritus
Re: Virtualizer in TCL repositories?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 01:17:15 AM »
If you use the fourm search button and type qemu you will several posts.
Others are reporting success with recent versions of Qemu.

10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline tobiaus

• Suspended
Re: Virtualizer in TCL repositories?
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2009, 02:53:48 AM »
Others are reporting success with recent versions of Qemu.

i'd like to use qemu in tc (with tc as the host, downloaded from appsbrowser) but the extension has not been created yet. i have used tc in qemu (with other operating systems as the host) and it's possible to use the windows version of qemu in wine, but the performance and resource use makes this impractical. to use qemu in tc (rather than only tc in qemu) it will need to be made into an extension. i've requested it (very recently) in the appropriate topic.