WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: wicd: How do I add a new wireless template to wicd?  (Read 5029 times)

Offline Miller

wicd: How do I add a new wireless template to wicd?
« on: March 09, 2010, 03:36:59 AM »
Greetings All

I wish to add a new template to wicd.

I begin by writing the template with say nano then save "new_template" in /etc/wicd/encryption/templates/ 

However, I also need to edit (by adding the title of this new template) the "active" file  located at /etc/wicd/encryption/templates so the new template will appear in the drop down encryption list from within wicd.

When I attempt to edit the "active" file the text editor complains; "Read only file system!"

Once again I kneel before the robes of the TC cognoscenti in order to solve this dilemma.

Best

Miller.

Offline althalus

Re: wicd: How do I add a new wireless template to wicd?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 03:43:37 AM »
The templates file is a symlink to a file that exists within the tcz extension, which is read only.

Off hand, there are two options come to my sleep deprived mind:

1) Create your own "config" module that overwrites that file
2) Copy the real file (Probably /tmp/tcloop/wicd/etc/wicd/encryption/templates) over to replace the symlink, then edit /etc/wicd/encryption/templates, and make sure to add it to your .filetool.lst

Offline Miller

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 09:05:54 AM »
I was denied access to copy /tmp/tcloop/wicd/usr/local/etc/wicd/encryption/templates/active over /etc/wicd/encryption/templates/active

I deleted the "active" file at /etc/wicd/encryption/templates and copied a real edited "active" file to replace it.

I added etc/wicd/encryption/templates/active to .filetool.lst

I also added the new encryption template file to /etc/wicd/encryption/templates/ and also added this path to .filetool.lst

But still no joy.

On reboot the modified "active" file and the new template are present, but they do not appear on the wicd drop down encryption list.

Hmmmm.

Miller.

Offline Miller

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 09:08:43 PM »
All fixed.

Hacked the extension. Works like a charm.

Miller.