WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Best way to install latest VirtualBox  (Read 2094 times)

Offline baz

Best way to install latest VirtualBox
« on: February 22, 2010, 01:53:35 PM »
Hello,

VBox is currently on version 3.1.4 and the one in the repo is 3.0.4 - what is the best way to get the latest?

1. Harass Kingdomcome (the package maintainer) to update it? :)

2. Download and run the installer from their website which also asks for GNU make, kernel header files and GNU compiler?

3. Just use the old one?

Thanks,
Baz

Offline Kingdomcome

Re: Best way to install latest VirtualBox
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 03:53:46 PM »
No need to harass, Ive been working on an update, which is being discussed here http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php?topic=5033.0

I did post a script quite a while ago that will somewhat automate the process of building and installing from within the running VM.  It will need updating at least to fix the extensions names.  I will also say that I have not tested it since release 3.0.2 of VBox, so there may be other problems with it now and it will need the compiletc, kernel headers and Xorg packages to be installed.   http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php?topic=2755.0

If you can stand to wait, I would suggest holding off until I can get an update submitted.

Offline baz

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2010, 06:26:15 PM »
Great to hear, thanks Kingdomcome!

I mainly use the VM to do Adobe Flex work, and I have some down time this week so I can surely wait for your clean implementation.

Offline baz

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 11:36:15 AM »
Kingdomcome, I write this with full appreciation of the time and effort you put into making this happen... Something urgent came up where I have to use VirtualBox today or latest tomorrow, should I just start with the current one and update when the new one is ready or are you planning on deploying very soon?

Thanks a lot.

Offline Kingdomcome

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2010, 10:56:41 PM »
I would start with what is in the repo now.  The only known bugs with the extension is the need for multiple clicks before they are recognized after boot and a bug in the shared folders that was brought up in the TCE-Bugs section.  Otherwise the extension works fine with all 3.x versions of the VBox host app.

Offline baz

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2010, 01:33:27 PM »
Sounds good, thanks for your help.