WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Xorg 7.4 build and Intel i810 and CRT/LCD  (Read 2445 times)

Offline eltheos

Xorg 7.4 build and Intel i810 and CRT/LCD
« on: August 24, 2009, 09:50:52 AM »
Hi all,

I was wondering which version of the intel driver is compiled into the Xorg 7.4 build of tinycore.

As it happens, I was trying to get CRT and LCD working at the same time.

With Xvesa, I was half successful using i810switch and i855res to turn CRT and LCD on and have the right sync (not raw pipe). Only remainder is either a black square in the upper left corner.

So I turned to Xorg. Here I can either get only CRT working eprfectly out of the box, or I can get both working, but this time the screen is garbled (seem like bunch of lines shifted horzitontally against each other).

Having no success, I booted and quickly installed Arch Linux, fired up Xorg and ... it got the LCD and CRT turned on in perfect synch once I had cleaned out the the proposed xorg.conf of the "second" graphics card.

The intel driver used seems to be the 2.3.99.1 (just not the final 2.4 build).

Now being equiped with the fact that Xorg 7.4 can produce a perfect result for me with the right config and right intel driver, I reverted to tinycore using teh same xorg.conf.

However, still the garbled screen.

Can you guys tell me which intel driver build is in the Xorg 7.4? Or would it be possible to have abuild using the latest intel driver - I am ready to test and contribute my time.

Thanks for the support!
eltheos

PS:
I was building already quite some TCEs, but as it appears, I am not capable of duing an intel driver build.

Offline ^thehatsrule^

• Retired Admins
Re: Xorg 7.4 build and Intel i810 and CRT/LCD
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 04:01:11 PM »
The version is just the one from Xorg 7.4 when it was built.  Looking in /var/log/Xorg.0.log will likely have version numbers.

Also, you could always request the "latest" driver as an extension (see request thread).

Offline eltheos

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2009, 07:59:22 PM »
Thanks for the hint.

I will look into it as soon as I got some spare time to fiddle with the - dont expect this to be in 10min ;)

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2009, 03:42:30 PM »
It is 2.4.2 IIRC. If you decide to compile the latest, don't use 2.8, it won't run well without some very new bits. The latest 2.7 should be good.

Compiling an additional X driver is pretty easy. Load Xorg, Xorg-dev, compiletc, and possibly perl-xml and coreutils if something complains. Then just use this driver part of the Xorg compiling script:
#!/bin/sh
export XORG_CONFIG="--prefix=/usr/local --sysconfdir=/etc \
    --mandir=/usr/local/share/man --localstatedir=/var"

export DRIVER_CONFIG="--with-xorg-module-dir=/usr/local/lib/X11/modules"

export CFLAGS="-march=i486 -mtune=i686 -Os -pipe"
export CXXFLAGS="-march=i486 -mtune=i686 -Os -pipe"
export PKG_CONFIG_PATH="/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig"

for i in xf86-video-intel-2.7*.tar.bz2; do
 ls $i
 dir=$(echo $i | sed 's/.tar.bz2//')
 tar -xf $i
 cd $dir
 ./configure $XORG_CONFIG $DRIVER_CONFIG
 make -j5
 make DESTDIR=/tmp/dest install
 cd ..; cp -a /tmp/dest/* /
 rm -rf $dir
done
After this the driver is installed to the running system, and you can make an extension out of /tmp/dest.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.