WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: BusLogic kernel module  (Read 7118 times)

Offline danielibarnes

BusLogic kernel module
« on: January 16, 2009, 08:59:17 PM »
First, thanks for providing Tiny Core. It fits my needs perfectly just when I need it most.

I compiled the BusLogic kernel module for 2.6.26 and packaged it as a tczm and tcem (about 20K). Before submitting it, I would like to know if there is any interest in including this module as part of the default tinycore.gz? I ask because VMware ESX Server does not allow virtual IDE hard disks. Only SCSI disks are supported. Thus, even if I load my tczm and install TC to the hard drive (run grub, etc.), after TC boots up the hard disk is not detected.

Including this driver would make it easier to run TC under VMware. Otherwise, everyone who wants to use TC with VMware ESX (and possibly other versions) will have to remaster it.

Thanks,
Daniel

Offline curaga

• Administrator
Re: BusLogic kernel module
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2009, 04:49:24 AM »
ESX is a metal-level enterprise virtualization platform. We are honored to hear TC has made it there :)

Does it support SATA? If not, seeing the module is small, it could be included in the next kernel update (scheduled for .29)
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline danielibarnes

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2009, 03:30:21 PM »
I use VMware ESXi to provide virtual development and testing environments for developers at work. It's a free download:
https://www.vmware.com/tryvmware/?p=esxi

I've worked with KVM; Xen; VMware Player, Workstation, and (GSX) Server. I'd be running Virtualbox on Solaris (ZFS rules) if Solaris supported the hardware in a Dell T5400, but I settled on ESXi because VMware is familiar to other people at work and I can run the VMs under Windows as well.

Virtual SATA drives are not supported. You have two choices: BusLogic or LSI SCSI. LSI is said to be faster, but I chose BusLogic because it is only one small simple module. I think LSI requires the mptbase and mptscsih modules.

Would you like me to email the BusLogic.ko.gz or attach it to this post?

I've been digging into TC since I saw it announced on distrowatch.com. It's so versatile I can create anything with it, and I plan to use it for creating virtual appliances with VMware. It's ideal for that, and I've even compiled VMware Tools. I don't know if I could submit the tools themselves as a package, but I can post step-by-step instructions for installing them. I hope I will have the time to contribute to the TC community in the future.

Thanks,
Daniel

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2009, 03:50:13 PM »
If you'd like to combine that module with the VMWare tools (seeing as they are used together) into an extension and submit it, that would be great.

As for the module, having one compiled for .26 is not going to work in .29 :)
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.