WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Opera 10.10 can't move or readily resize window  (Read 5301 times)

Offline longtom

Opera 10.10 can't move or readily resize window
« on: December 24, 2009, 04:54:10 AM »
Hi,

I am pretty new to Linux and very new to tinycore, so bare with me.

I searched and found some threads in this regard which have been answered in a somewhat aggressive manner so I probably get quartered for bringing this up:

I installed Opera browser.  I do not seem to be able to resize it other than grabbing the outer sides and move those in or out.  I am also not able to move the Opera window when not maximised.

I am able to so with the Appbrowser.

I have tinycore 2.6 in VirtualBox (on Ubuntu 8.04) installed on a 10GB virtual drive.

Any suggestions welcome
Regards

longtom

Offline cjgau

Re: Opera 10.10 can't move or readily resize window
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2009, 05:37:46 AM »
Try Ctrl,Alt,+/_ to resize; Ctrl,Alt,arrows to move

Offline longtom

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2009, 06:01:40 AM »
Try Ctrl,Alt,+/_ to resize; Ctrl,Alt,arrows to move

Thank you for your reply.  I read that somewhere before.  Doesn't work so.  It is a really weird one if nobody elae has that problem.... :P
Regards

longtom

Offline JoXo009

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2009, 07:00:59 AM »
Opera browser .... (doesn't work properly)
I testet the opera.tcz extension and got the same buggy result.
Resizing the Opera 9 window wasn't possible.

Maybe it's a bug of that extension.

There is a simple workaround. Install Opera 10, i.e. the opera10-tcz extension.

At least Opera Version 10.x worked fine on my machine.

Offline longtom

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2009, 07:13:16 AM »
Did that.  Problem persisted.  However, I get the feeling the problem is caused or influenced by VirtualBox guest additions.  If guest additions are not used all is fine, if they are used opera resizing plays up.

I'll keep plodding and see if I can get to the core of the matter.

Regards

longtom

Offline Kingdomcome

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2009, 08:38:08 AM »
When using TC/MC inside VirtualBox you need to keep in mind that VirtualBox uses a "Host Key" to capture and release control of the mouse and keyboard.  By default the Host Key is the Right Ctrl key.  If you have been trying to use the right ctrl as part of any key combo in TC/MC you will likely see problems.

Offline JoXo009

Opera 10 stuck
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2009, 08:59:02 PM »
Problem persisted.  However, I get the feeling the problem is caused or influenced by VirtualBox guest additions.  If guest additions are not used all is fine, if they are used opera resizing plays up.
You are right, it happens that Opera is stuck to full window mode when VBox Guest Additions are installed and all its clients started.

And it doesn't seem to be related to any hot key feature.

But it's hard to reproduce. The error occurs sometimes only, may depend on loading sequence ore alike.

I got the feeling too, it has something to do with size management of VBox Guest Additions in combination of Opera full window mode.

So maybe a workaround could be, first to get rid of Opera full window mode. It may be worth a try not to start VBox Guest clients or even uninstall VBox before installing Opera, then resizing Opera, to get rid of its full window mode and only afterwards add (reboot with) VBox Guest Additions and its clients.

And if it should be stuck again, close Opera, resize Virtual Box and start Opera again. This way I got rid of the error several times.

Good luck

« Last Edit: December 24, 2009, 09:19:41 PM by JoXo009 »

Offline longtom

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2009, 11:39:08 PM »
Update,

installed Icewm and I can move and resize Opera with or without VB guest additions. 
Regards

longtom