WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Something strange in my TCL-2.4 !  (Read 3726 times)

Offline Pats

Something strange in my TCL-2.4 !
« on: November 26, 2009, 08:48:39 PM »
1) Whenever I boot TCL2.4 thru CDRom, my hda1 with NTFS boot sector get corrupted. I thought it might be due to Backup while exiting TCL. But I tried without it - same problem. I have to use XP-SP2 install cd -> recovery console -> and FixBoot to recover my NTFS boot.
Otherwise XP just start rebooing again & again in a loop ! Any clues ?

2) When I try to start vi at root consoe like this:
root@box:/home/tc# ./.wmx/Tools/Vi

vi starts alright, but root prompt vanishes and also gets into vi mode, so I cannot issue any command at root prompt.
I have to Cntr-C to return to root prompt. Why ?

Just experimenting with TCL !

~ Pats

Offline ^thehatsrule^

• Retired Admins
Re: Something strange in my TCL-2.4 !
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2009, 09:05:36 PM »
1.  Are you mounting your ntfs partition?  (ntfs3g?)

2.  Regular invocation is just "vi"

Offline Pats

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2009, 01:08:31 AM »
1.  Are you mounting your ntfs partition?  (ntfs3g?)
I do not want to use/mount NTFS, so I avoid ntfs3g etc.

2.  Regular invocation is just "vi"
Yah, I know. But just curious abt the Tech. reason behind it in short - if possible -why it happens. Am just a simple user in Linux ! :(

~ Pats

Offline ^thehatsrule^

• Retired Admins
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2009, 02:13:34 AM »
1. If you aren't using that partition (or the drive) at all, there was probably something else that caused your corruption (such as a previous windows session).

2. That file is a shell script.  If you want to know what happens inside, you can open it up with vi, for example.

Offline Pats

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2009, 03:47:37 AM »

1. Since I am experimenting with TCL, I am NOT mounting any of my HDD partitions for safety reason- but yes, I do have my USBPD mounted and had accessed USBPD, so Q of prev win session does not arise ! I am expereincing this problem from the very first use of TCL on  my PC !

2. No , No - I always start vi by typing vi only. I mean why root term get into vi mode and leaves its default root prompt ( # ) , when used with the above full path and Vi ?

~ Pats

Offline ^thehatsrule^

• Retired Admins
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2009, 04:27:09 AM »
1.  That was just an example.  If you aren't touching it at all in TC, it's just highly likely it's an external problem on your end.

2.  I just suggested to take a look inside of it (read it again).

Offline combo3

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2009, 04:32:38 AM »
1) Whenever I boot TCL2.4 thru CDRom, my hda1 with NTFS boot sector get corrupted. I thought it might be due to Backup while exiting TCL. But I tried without it - same problem. I have to use XP-SP2 install cd -> recovery console -> and FixBoot to recover my NTFS boot.
Otherwise XP just start rebooing again & again in a loop ! Any clues ?

Continuous reboots are a well-known 'feature' of Windows XP.

2) When I try to start vi at root consoe like this:
root@box:/home/tc# ./.wmx/Tools/Vi

vi starts alright, but root prompt vanishes and also gets into vi mode, so I cannot issue any command at root prompt.
I have to Cntr-C to return to root prompt. Why ?

What you've described is normal behaviour. The first terminal remains unavailable until you close the second. If you want to open vi in another terminal without tying up the first, add an ampersand to the end of the command, like so:

./.wmx/Tools/Vi &

However, that will only work in your home directory. Here's one that works anywhere:

aterm -e vi &

,,, or just select Tools > Vi from the window manager menu.

And if I may make a suggestion, mucking about as root user is ill-advised.

Offline Pats

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2009, 07:33:59 AM »
1.  That was just an example.  If you aren't touching it at all in TC, it's just highly likely it's an external problem on your end.
I tried it in my 2nd PC with same config with fresh install of XP - with proper defrag and chkdsk /r etc, but the problem persits. So may be my TCL CD may be corrupt or as Combo3 suggested the reason may be with XPs rebooting habit or may  be some loose connection in PCs power-supply. My regular monthly maintainace of my PCs on comming sunday may solve this problem or a clue !
Presently I started running TCL on a HDD-less m/c with only CDD & Pen.

2. What you've described is normal behaviour. The first terminal remains unavailable until you close the second.
Yah ! I wanted to listen this ! So it is normal. My curiousity was just that :)

aterm -e vi &  and Tools > Vi from the window manager menu , works fine as always.

And if I may make a suggestion, mucking about as root user is ill-advised...
Ok, OK ! I take that care on other HDD-installed distros regularly, but since TCL is RAM-happy distro, so I care less abt any side effects. ;-)

I have just downloaded TCL2.6 ! Let me check if the problem is solved with the new baby !

Thanks to all of you ! :)

~ Pats

Offline combo3

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2009, 12:40:14 PM »
Ok, OK ! I take that care on other HDD-installed distros regularly, but since TCL is RAM-happy distro, so I care less abt any side effects. ;-)

Not to belabor the point, but what about the side effects on that USB stick you may have forgotten you mounted? :o

Offline Pats

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2009, 01:29:53 PM »
Not to belabor the point, but what about the side effects on that USB stick you may have forgotten you mounted?
No, I hvnt forgotton the stick - it is purely used for my TCL experiments - no imp data on it.
But I do understand : one should avoid root previlages to fiddle with the system and to care abt ones HW damages - just that !  :)
~ Pats

Offline Pats

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2010, 10:44:25 AM »
Actually the present problem is related to TCLv6 ( just for the sake of archieving in one place I am posting in this thread ):
In TCLv6 ( on this perticular PC where I am am using a Dial-up USB DataCable/Mobile combo), whenever I connect to net, after sometime  connection is terminated - with following error messages :
usbserial_generic 1-2:1.0: device disconnected
usb 1-2: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 11
   device not accepting address 1, error -71
   device descriptor read/64, error -71
   port 2 disabled by hub(EMI?), re-enabling.. etc etc

Pl note that the same setup is working perfectly OK, if I boot using TCLv5.
If already answered to this kind of problem elsewhere, pl guide me to that link..

Thanks !
~ Pats

Thanks

Offline Pats

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2010, 10:51:33 AM »
Oops ! Sorry for the typo.., pl read TCLv2.6 and TCLv2.5 in place of TCLv6 and TCLv5 respectively.. :(