WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Mixed up with all the new terms-struggling to save something (SOLVED)  (Read 2805 times)

Offline samweller

To save time, if there is a TC for dummies, I'd be more comfortable there.

I've managed to frugal install TC on a partition and can boot to it on my laptop: 1 gig ram 1.5 mhz 40 gig hd.  I managed to change the background.  Everytime I reboot, the new background is there.  But no matter how many times I click any combo of save, mount, restore, backup buttons, I can't seem to get my desired programs saved or loaded on reboot.  

I've been thru the tiki, wiki, help page on the cntrl pnl, and the great instruction on [removed due to policy violation].  I know it's there, I just can't seem to understand it.  Can someone point me to something that might help?
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 01:54:25 AM by samweller »

Offline Guy

Re: Mixed up with all the new terms-struggling to save something
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009, 05:39:41 PM »
I don't know exactly what you have done or are doing.

In Grub did you include "tce=sda1 home=sda1 opt=sda1" (or other partition) in the line which begins with kernel?

For programs to remain, connect to the internet with the computer, open the Appbrowser.
Click File -> Connect.
Select a program.
Click Mount. (You can click Install, but it will use more ram. This is more concern for people with little ram.)

If this doesn't help. Explain in more detail.
Many people see what is. Some people see what can be, and make a difference.

Offline samweller

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, 05:57:55 PM »
here's my grub menu.lst
Code: [Select]
default 0
timeout 5

title Tiny Core
root (hd0,2)
kernel /boot/bzImage quiet tce=hda3 home=hda3 opt=hda3 max_loop=255
initrd /boot/tinycore.gz

I've downloaded firefox and leafpad.  TC is installed on hda3.  On /mnt/hda3/tce I have both firefox and leafpad .tcz files, and a bunch of others that I take are dependecies. 

I've been downloading, clicking and rebooting all morning.  At one time I have downloaded (using the Appbrowser) Dillo and Rox.  When looking at  >Tools>add_to_Filetool I see that Dillo is in there.

As I understand this method, Appbrowser>install will load it in Ram and Mount will download it but not activate it in Ram until called for.  I probably "installed" all that I downloaded but with each fresh boot I can't see them in my dock or find a place to activate them. 

I'm getting mixed up.

Offline Guy

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2009, 06:25:54 PM »
When you install programs, you don't need to add anything to filetool.lst.

After installation they should just work.

At the bottom of the screen you should have a wbar. Firefox and Leafpad should have icons on the wbar, which you just click to start the programs.

Another option, right click on the desktop to have a menu. You can select programs from the menu.

Offline perthie

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2009, 07:02:05 PM »
Your GRUB menu looks correct.

Open a terminal and type: cat /opt/.tce_dir

The reply should be: /mnt/hda3/tce

If not, TC is not locating your tce folder, so no extensions get loaded.

For the time being, I would delete the opt=hda3 entry from GRUB and see what happens.

Offline jur

• cycling photo essays
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2009, 07:11:20 PM »
I hear your confusion. I had much the same trouble when I started playing with tc and the various web resources didn't make matters all that much clearer.

So I'll have a go at explaining.

Your menu.lst entry looks like it should work just fine. That's much what mine looks like.

Downloaded extensions are stored in /mnt/hdax/tce if that folder exists, otherwise they go to /tmp/tce and do not persist to the next session. The menu entry tce=hdax should initially cause the tce folder to be created; if tce exists it should not be absolutely necessary to keep that entry but I like to keep it there to avoid tc from finding other tce folders and using them instead.

So, look to see if the tce folder exists, if not, manually create it.

Any extensions in tce are automatically loaded at next reboot.

There are 3 choices in the appbrowser, install, mount and download. All 3 actions download the extension. Install unpacks the tcz and stores the files in the system directories; mount symlinks the tcz contents to those same folders, while download just gets the edtension and stores it in tce/optional. Anything in tce/optional can be gotten at by installing local from the appbrowser menu. Such installs/mounts are not persistent to the next boot. You can change by manually moving extensions between tce and tce/optional as you like.

The only stuff strictly necessary to be in the filetool.lst are any files which are not recreated at next boot and which are not located in /opt, /home/tc or tce. Any such files need to be backed up for the next session.

Offline Guy

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2009, 07:23:46 PM »
It is possible that you messed up settings by doing something earlier, and now something doesn't work properly.

Taking perthie's idea a little further.

Delete the /opt directory. (Don't change Grub. It will create a new one with the correct settings.)

Delete the /home/tc directory.

Delete mydata.tgz. If you don't delete this, it may overwrite /opt and /home/tc with the same stuff which caused the problems. mydata.tgz is normally in the tce directory. If you have backed up somewhere else as well, you may have more than one.

Restart the computer.

If you do this, it will be the same as a new installation with the default settings. Everything should work.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 07:29:47 PM by Guy »

Offline jur

• cycling photo essays
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2009, 07:29:02 PM »
As I understand this method, Appbrowser>install will load it in Ram and Mount will download it but not activate it in Ram until called for.  I probably "installed" all that I downloaded but with each fresh boot I can't see them in my dock or find a place to activate them. 
Seems something got messed up. Try a completely fresh install.

Offline samweller

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2009, 08:47:13 PM »

There isn't an embarassed smiley.

I did as suggested and deleted all the files Guy and Jur instructed.  I rebooted, downloaded some programs and it worked just fine. 

Thank you for pointing at the thing I was looking at and telling me that's it.  *sigh*  Excellent help you guys.  Thank you very much.  Now I can begin to explore.

(I keep shaking my head and sighing)

Offline jur

• cycling photo essays
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2009, 09:22:25 PM »

There isn't an embarassed smiley.

I did as suggested and deleted all the files Guy and Jur instructed.  I rebooted, downloaded some programs and it worked just fine. 

Thank you for pointing at the thing I was looking at and telling me that's it.  *sigh*  Excellent help you guys.  Thank you very much.  Now I can begin to explore.

(I keep shaking my head and sighing)
heh heh, I too had to discover I was a complete idiot before seeing that all the stuff I needed to know was actually there, just didn't assimilate it  :D