WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Where is flwm classic?  (Read 3110 times)

Offline philip

Where is flwm classic?
« on: November 02, 2009, 07:21:44 PM »
I'd like to use the classic flwm, with titles on the left side. Is it still available somewhere? (The flwm.tcz now in appbrowser puts titles on top; flwm_topside.tcz seems likely to do the same, if its name is accurate.) Thanks.

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
Re: Where is flwm classic?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2009, 10:25:39 PM »
That one - flwm.tcz  - is meant to be the "classic" version. It works for me.

Offline philip

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009, 01:41:31 AM »
Thanks for the reply. For me it doesn't work, and I'm confused about why not. My copy of flwm.tcz is as fresh as can be, the md5sum is correct, and yet the titles are on the top. Are your file parameters the same as mine?
Code: [Select]
.../tce$ ls -ld flwm*
-rw-r--r--    1 tc       staff       28672 Nov  3 06:31 flwm.tcz
.../tce$ md5sum flwm.tcz
e596c30bc94487490adeb5a30e487e37  flwm.tcz

Offline jls

dCore user

Offline roberts

• Retired Admins
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2009, 09:14:51 AM »
See the first line of Comments in the .info file.  flwm.tcz is for microcore.
As such, it is not a PPI extension and likely your topside is not being overwritten.
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline philip

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2009, 10:33:42 PM »
See the first line of Comments in the .info file.  flwm.tcz is for microcore.
As such, it is not a PPI extension and likely your topside is not being overwritten.
Thanks for this pointer. I extracted the executable /usr/bin/flwm from flwm.tcz and overwrote the default file manually, then added the line "usr/bin/flwm" to /opt/.filetool.lst to make the change persistent. Now I can join Juanito in saying, "It works for me."

This is my first experience with an extension in the directory /.../tce that does *not* get loaded automatically at boot time. Perhaps a better TC expert would have expected that after reading the two words "for microcore" in the .info file. I would like to be a better expert myself, so let me ask this: Where in the TC boot process does the special status of flwm.tcz get noticed so that loading of its contents gets skipped?

Offline roberts

• Retired Admins
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2009, 11:34:34 PM »
It does not get skipped, but rather does not overwrite the existing flwm binary when used with tinycore.
I will rename flwm in base tinycore to flwm_topside since, in fact is a derivative of flwm. That way, even with tinycore, you will be able to use the flwm.tcz extension. This will be in 2.5 final.

It works in microcore as there is no base window manager, therefore no collision.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 11:50:40 PM by roberts »
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.