WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Some Noob Questions  (Read 2721 times)

Offline DerHoggz

Some Noob Questions
« on: October 29, 2009, 05:56:54 PM »
Alright, I installed TCL onto a USB drive with two partitions, both FAT32, one (sda1)  just big enough for the OS and UNetBootin, and the other (sda2) occupying the other 1.80 GB or so of the drive.

So it boots and all, but when I try to make a persistent tce directory via boot options tce=sda2, tce=/sda2, or tce=/dev/sda2, it doesn't work.  What's going on here?

Where is the file brower, is it an extension, or do I have to use bash?

What is the root password?  I haven't set it as anything, but when I try to become superuser it asks for a password, leaving it blank does not allow access.

So as I said earlier I use UNetBootin.  I edited the syslinux.cfg file to add the tchome=sda2 boot option and saved it.  Whenever I booted, the option was gone.

Windows only recognizes my first partition, the one with the boot files.  However, I need to access the other partition for use as a general flash brive at school and whatnot.  Would moving this partition to be sda1 solve the problem?

Thanks

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
Re: Some Noob Questions
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 05:58:52 PM »
You also need "waitusb=5".

Offline Guy

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2009, 07:22:08 PM »
An easy way to install on a usb drive is to run Tiny Core from the CD. From the menu (right click). Go to Tools -> USB Installation, and answer the questions. You need certain extensions installed - it will tell you. You need a broadband internet connection to install the extensions. (If you don't have a broadband internet connection, there are other options.)

A file browser needs to be installed. A good one is Xfe.

You should not need a root password. It may be something to do with UNetBootin (I havn't used it). If you need one, open the terminal and type:

sudo su
passwd

Enter a password. You can then use that password. (The password will be lost when you reboot Tiny Core unless you back it up. You can repeat the process after rebooting.)

Windows should always recognize the first partition. If you do not use Tools -> USB Installation,  and install Tiny Core in the second partition, you can use the first partition for files.

If you use tce=sda2, it should work. However when you use the usb drive in another computer, it may be sdb2 or sdc2, so it will not work. Using Tools -> USB Installation solves that.

I hope this helps.
Many people see what is. Some people see what can be, and make a difference.

Offline tclfan

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2009, 09:53:49 AM »
Windows only recognizes my first partition, the one with the boot files.  However, I need to access the other partition for use as a general flash brive at school and whatnot.  Would moving this partition to be sda1 solve the problem?
Thanks
Windows will recognize only the first partition if your USB stick is set up as removeable media. If it is set up in HD mode then Windows will recognize both partitions.
Not all usb sticks can be flipped to HD mode, though...

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2009, 10:08:05 AM »
Béla
Ham Radio callsign: HA5DI

"Amateur Radio: The First Technology-Based Social Network."

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2009, 10:21:12 AM »
I tried something very similar to this back in the dsl days and it worked - it took a while to find the correct registry entry among the many usb stick entries.

However, formatting the usb stick ext2 and using the freeware ext2 drivers for windows works much better  :)