WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: OpenOffice 3.1.1 experiment  (Read 3690 times)

Offline sci_fi

OpenOffice 3.1.1 experiment
« on: November 15, 2009, 09:56:51 AM »
Good morning,

Hopefully of value to someone.

I have been experimenting with OpenOffice 3.1.1  by using Slax module on TC 2.5. The two Slax modules are:

jre 6u17
http://www.slax.org/modules.php?action=detail&id=193

Openoffice 3.1.1
http://www.slax.org/modules.php?action=detail&id=2825

By performing a slax lzm2dir on each of these and then compressing the directories via mksquashfs I have created two (crude) .tcz modules which allow both jre6u17 and OpenOffice 3.1.1 to work on TC.

Note, I did not need to download the dependencies listed on the Slax site for these modules. I am not sure what the specific dependencies are but, my tce directory contains everything needed.

I have never created a true tcz module for the repository and thought OO was a bit much to start with.

Best regards,

sci_fi

Offline bigpcman

Re: OpenOffice 3.1.1 experiment
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2009, 11:07:50 AM »
Good morning,

Hopefully of value to someone.

I have been experimenting with OpenOffice 3.1.1  by using Slax module on TC 2.5. The two Slax modules are:

jre 6u17
http://www.slax.org/modules.php?action=detail&id=193

Openoffice 3.1.1
http://www.slax.org/modules.php?action=detail&id=2825

By performing a slax lzm2dir on each of these and then compressing the directories via mksquashfs I have created two (crude) .tcz modules which allow both jre6u17 and OpenOffice 3.1.1 to work on TC.

Note, I did not need to download the dependencies listed on the Slax site for these modules. I am not sure what the specific dependencies are but, my tce directory contains everything needed.

I have never created a true tcz module for the repository and thought OO was a bit much to start with.

Best regards,

sci_fi

That is very good news! Have you discovered anything that does not work in the applications?

Could you elaborate on what "slax lzm2dir" does.

edit:  OK I see lzm2dir simply decompresses the application into the specified directory.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 11:31:09 AM by bigpcman »
big pc man

Offline sci_fi

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2009, 07:04:58 AM »
Hi bigpcman,

Thanks for the comments.

I see from your edit that you sorted out the lzm2dir command from slax.

I have not attempted to exhaustively test oo3.1.1 with TC. I have tried it on various .doc, .xls and .ppt files I have around my system. I have not encountered any problems. Seems to work fine.

A few notes:

1. The main oo311 executable resides in /usr/bin, not usr/local/.. as would be the case with a proper TC extension. OK for experimenting but not for a submitted module.

2. Comparing the install files from oo2.tcz vs my proto-extension I notice many differences. Simplistic attempts to replace the oo2 executables with oo311 did not work. Not surprising.

3. I use emelfm2. Right clicking on an MS office type file produces a dropdown menu. The first item on this menu is "Openoffice", intended to open the file with Openoffice. Unfortunately, this menu selection attempts to execute (what I believe) is an earlier version of Openoffice. The  executable filename is wrong, so the attempt fails.

I was not able to find the file containing this dropdown menu to change the pointers. Presumably this works properly with oo2.tcz, although I have not tested it.

4. The situation with jre6u17 is slightly better. The slax module expanded and then recompressed to a .tcz file works. Firefox finds it and uses it fine.

The java control panel stuff does not seem to work, although as I have not experimented with this very much. Probably files in the wrong place for TC, but not sure. Getting it to work with FF was my big concern.

I am currently running icewm. A few days ago when trying xfce, I seem to recall the xfce app-finder finding the java control app, but they did not appear to execute.

I hope this is enough information to enable someone more experienced to make proper .tcz modules for these apps.

Thanks and Best regards,

sci_fi

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2009, 08:40:16 AM »
Are we speaking of an oo-3.1.1 binary or compiled from source?

Offline sci_fi

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2009, 10:04:33 AM »
binary

I just downloaded the .lzm module from slax. I did not compile from source.

Best regards,

sci_fi