WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: TC for IBM Netvista 8363 (N2200) compile problems....please help  (Read 3261 times)

Offline pchotfix

TC for IBM Netvista 8363 (N2200) compile problems....please help
« on: September 15, 2009, 05:31:05 AM »
Hi@all,

i try to install TC on my Netvistas. But these little thin clients are difficult to play.
They require an uncompressed ELF-Kernel and by default there is no chance to load an initrd, because they do not support any bootloader nor any standard-bios.

with a little help from some related Netvista-forums i suxessfully installed a deabin and a suse linux. but this distros are slow and un.y on this machines.

i work three weeks to compile a TC distro matching the requirements but i it failed everytime i try anything.

is there an advanced TC user with the required expirience in compiling kernels who is interested to do a touch on that devices? I would spend a complete machine for you.

regards
ReneĀ“

PS: here are some links about that machines:
http://www.bluetrait.com/archive/2005/08/07/installing-linux-2200-onto-the-ibm-netvista-n2200-8363/
http://deckelquelle.de/public/projects/n2200/PuppyLinux/

Offline lostwf

Re: TC for IBM Netvista 8363 (N2200) compile problems....please help
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 07:50:52 AM »
Have you been able to get tinycore working on the n2200?

Thanks
Wayne

Offline pchotfix

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 01:22:33 PM »
Have you been able to get tinycore working on the n2200?

Thanks
Wayne
Not jet. ;-(
i also took a look at "antix"

Offline der_odenwaelder

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, 05:15:32 PM »
Hello friends,

today i've uploaded my first test-release for TinyCore 2.11 on the IBM NetVista N2200 8363. It is shiped together with an adaption of the kexec-loader for NetVista. The N2200-bootloader is able to handle compressed kernels and initrdfs without (nearly) any limitation in size ;) - especially tinycore_N2200.gz needs more then 13Megs... The linux-2.6.29.1 kernel config was modified to meet the N2200 requirements. A patch for arch/x86/kernel/rtc.c is necessary - all other source files stay unchanged. I put all the compiled modules into the initrdfs - so its size growth up a little bit - optimization will be done later on ::). XVesa doesn't run on the NetVista. Unfortunatelly, the Xorg-7.4.tcz did not include the video driver nsc_drv.so - sorry, no success until now ???. The bootloader (kernel.2x00-bootloader, /boot/bootloader, /boot/kexec-loader etc.) must be placed on the internal CF-card. Edit the /boot/kexec-loader/menu.cfg for your particular needs. Kernel and/or initrdfs could be loaded from an attached USB media. The 'Midnight Commander' was preloaded for a better handling without the X environment 8).

Look at the files on:
[^thehatsrule^: removed; please see remaster section]

If there is something new - i will inform you on this topic.

Good luck and Greetings from D-64354 Reinheim

der_odenwaelder
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 05:31:14 PM by ^thehatsrule^ »