WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: bootiing tcL  (Read 487 times)

Offline vinceASPECT

bootiing tcL
« on: October 08, 2024, 06:09:54 PM »
hi forum,

need some help bikooting  TCL on an ASUS x556uv  laptop.

Bios only offers to choose how much RAM to share for Video
So  i  put it at 128 megs

nothing else about bios is helpful

when i try to boot TCL  11.1  at all the variuos VGA settins you just get a distorted graphics screen of zig zags

i tried LOW and High res settings

So it does not like xvesa?

it boots ok to terminal so what should i type to load up xorg?

is it  "sudo AB  xorg" ........it downloads it?.... and then do i install it?

And then what command to run it....?..and then what command to start X..?.

?

thanks
C

« Last Edit: October 08, 2024, 06:11:38 PM by vinceASPECT »

Offline GNUser

• Wiki Author
Re: bootiing tcL
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2024, 10:43:48 AM »
it boots ok to terminal so what should i type to load up xorg?

is it  "sudo AB  xorg" ........it downloads it?.... and then do i install it?

And then what command to run it....?..and then what command to start X..?
Hi vinceASPECT. If you can boot to a terminal and have a network connection, the command you type to get xorg and a minimum GUI is this:
Code: [Select]
$ tce-load -wi Xorg-7.7 flwm aterm wbarAfter that you can reboot with sudo reboot and X should automatically start (the command that automatically starts it is the startx at the bottom of ~/.profile).

Offline vinceASPECT

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2024, 06:08:07 AM »
JHello GNUser and forum

So you are saying  i type at the terminal.......

$ tce-load -wi Xorg-7.7 flwm aterm wbar  (enter)

wait a bit and should eventualy be potentially greated with a tcl  desktop.....?

OR must i also follow the command above by typing "sudo reboot" at which point i will be subsequently be greeted with a tcl desktop?

..........but surely rebooting to bios and back up will flush the RAM and leave the TCL system empty once more?

thx
C
« Last Edit: October 10, 2024, 06:11:52 AM by vinceASPECT »

Offline gadget42

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2024, 06:42:34 AM »
no disrespect intended but have you tried the most recent version(s) of TinyCoreLinux?
The fluctuation theorem has long been known for a sudden switch of the Hamiltonian of a classical system Z54 . For a quantum system with a Hamiltonian changing from... https://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,25972.msg166580.html#msg166580

Offline vinceASPECT

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2024, 06:53:34 AM »
NO gadget

i have had it explained to me HOW to run the latest tinycore through WSL on win 10.........but i am still looking at that

this thread here is me trying to native boot  tcl and i don't have any MEDiia to be able to try native boot of the latest tcl iso ........i only have  a DISC of tcl 11.1

Thx
C

are you surgesting that by default , the Latest tcl  remembers it's state  over reboots?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2024, 07:03:03 AM by vinceASPECT »

Offline GNUser

• Wiki Author
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2024, 09:33:13 AM »
OR must i also follow the command above by typing "sudo reboot" at which point i will be subsequently be greeted with a tcl desktop?
Did you try it?

..........but surely rebooting to bios and back up will flush the RAM and leave the TCL system empty once more?
TCL starts out "empty" after a reboot but quickly rebuilds itself to your specifications (i.e., it reloads your downloaded extensions and saved configuration files). This rebuilding happens automatically if you have a persistent tce directory. It's all explained in this very helpful pdf: http://tinycorelinux.net/corebook.pdf

Anyone who reads and understands the pdf will have a nice time with TCL and will be immune from becoming a help vampire.

Offline vinceASPECT

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2024, 10:50:15 AM »
no GN

......... no i did not try it..........

i do not have a tce directory ----->

i think i just need to follow your first command............and then follow it with a manual startX command.  (so i will try xorg)
=================================

it is a stange bug with  the screen zig zag lines when trying any type of VESA or VGA tcl boot at any types of resolutions......

maybe tinycore simply does not like this machines graphics hardware.....?
...... i have tried to understand how the machine graphics actually  works

The graphics of the machine is ........

a) "Intel HD graphics 520 Skylage -U G2"  graphics..... as an embeded feature of the cpu chip..... containing gpu.(a)...
Gpu (a) ---> has a  1 gig onboard RAM memory.......

b)"Nvidia Geforce 920mx" graphics as a chip...containing gpu (b)
Gpu (b)----> houses 2gb onboard RAM memory..

===============================

the bios offers a user the option to choose an amount of system RAM to share wth the gpu ((a)) 
any of 32 to 512 meg  choice........ in steps.....

So The gpu (a) already has it's own  dedicated 1 gig of onboard RAM  and the bios allows a further sharing of a half a gig of system RAM.........making 1.5 gigs of RAM for gpu (a)

seems so.........

The other Nvidea gpu (b) is a serperate chip  containing 2 gigs of dedicated DDR3 ram.........but NO further option to share any system ram.

Msoft seems to talk to the supplied  "desktop GPU  user settings".tool.....and Msoft thus decides how it will tell the machine to  direct certain  GPU resources to certain APPS and/or indeed how to direct the gpu's to itself...the OS

so for example, some apps use BOTH gpu's simultanneously.......some apps just use ONE or the other of the gpu's.....and some apps don't show any gpu activity........depends...

i just wondered whether the machine is unusual in that graphics sense.....

anyhow i will try native tcl 11.1 machine boot & try xorg........also i will continue  to try  running  the latest  tcl inside WSL on win 10 .....

many thx
C

« Last Edit: October 10, 2024, 11:22:42 AM by vinceASPECT »

Offline GNUser

• Wiki Author
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2024, 02:15:50 PM »
i think i just need to follow your first command............and then follow it with a manual startX command.  (so i will try xorg)
That will work, but it's not ideal (see below). Note that startx needs to be all lowercase.

i do not have a tce directory ----->
Without a persistent tce directory, Xorg and all its dependencies will be re-downloaded every time you run the tce-load command. Why don't you set up a persistent tce directory? It is the easy, obvious solution here. Just FYI. Good luck.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2024, 02:17:26 PM by GNUser »

Offline gadget42

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2024, 03:07:14 PM »
i went to this webpage and selected my language version of the manual for the asus x556uv and downloaded

https://www.asus.com/supportonly/x556uv/helpdesk_manual/

have only looked at it briefly but it seems like a nice machine
The fluctuation theorem has long been known for a sudden switch of the Hamiltonian of a classical system Z54 . For a quantum system with a Hamiltonian changing from... https://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,25972.msg166580.html#msg166580

Offline vinceASPECT

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2024, 06:42:46 AM »
Yes GN

The reason there isn't a TCE directory is the drive is NTFS........so  i need to use the NTFS extension but i always forget how to issue it's commands

yes, thanks for advice and luck can also help

Offline mocore

• ~.~
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2024, 04:31:18 PM »
the drive is NTFS........so  i need to use the NTFS extension but i always forget how to issue it's commands

(did you forget to search the forum?  :P )

wrt >how to issue it's commands
like? ... this??
https://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,17969.msg108765.html#msg108765

(eg: download tc files/extensions , extract initalRAMfs , extract extensions , repack initial-ram-fs )

Just a follow-up so that if anyone stumbles across this post in an effort to enable NTFS booting by the most recent version of TC (6.x as of this posting), they will have a simple guide.  Here are the steps I took to reproduce this modification:

cd /tmp
wget http://tinycorelinux.net/6.x/x86_64/release/distribution_files/corepure64.gz
wget http://tinycorelinux.net/6.x/x86_64/release/distribution_files/vmlinuz64.gz
wget http://tinycorelinux.net/6.x/x86_64/tcz/fuse.tcz
wget http://tinycorelinux.net/6.x/x86_64/tcz/ntfs-3g.tcz

mkdir /tmp/remaster
mkdir /tmp/extension
cd /tmp/remaster
zcat /tmp/corepure64.gz | sudo cpio -i -H newc -d

sudo mount -t squashfs -o loop fuse.tcz /tmp/extension
cp -R /tmp/extension/* ./
sudo umount /tmp/extension

sudo mount -t squashfs -o loop ntfs-3g.tcz /tmp/extension
cp -R /tmp/extension/* ./
sudo umount /tmp/extension

sudo chroot /tmp/remaster depmod -a 3.16.6-tinycore64
sudo chroot /tmp/remaster ldconfig
sudo find | sudo cpio -o -H newc | gzip -2 > ../corepure64-ntfs.gz

That's all folks!  Be sure to note that the onboot.lst file (and any other tce directory files) need to be edited on a *LINUX* system, not a *MICROSOFT* system!  Also the above steps can be performed on any working Linux distro, not just a TC system.

Dave

Offline vinceASPECT

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2024, 04:06:03 PM »
sadly xorg is the same story...

TCL does not like this machines hardware......

.......i will try some other distros off pen drive to see if ANY native linux
can run on this machine

Thx
C
« Last Edit: October 13, 2024, 04:17:03 PM by vinceASPECT »

Offline mocore

• ~.~
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2024, 05:36:38 AM »
sadly xorg is the same story...

TCL does not like this machines hardware......
hi vin(ce)
is this a report of some error ?

how was it (hw) configured ?
what (error???) happened? ( to reach the conclusion that "does not like this machines hardware"
AFAIK tcl is not sentient and there for totally indifferent wrt hw   )
  ???

Offline vinceASPECT

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2024, 06:11:29 AM »
Hello, Sir. Yes, it's a report of an error with the laptop I have here and its seeming lack of ability to even boot up tiny core.

Inside. The earlier messages of this thread. We tried. XOrg. via a simple command list

my command list Firstly connected me to a network. And then secondly it downloaded X org and a gui etc & it installed them all.

I then completed a simple "startx" command which resulted in a distorted TCL GUI desktop.

.......I now  intend to use a pen drive to try some other native Linux distros to see if they will boot with correct graphics on this machine.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2024, 06:13:26 AM by vinceASPECT »