WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: graphics with computers  (Read 135 times)

Offline vinceASPECT

graphics with computers
« on: September 27, 2024, 05:48:05 PM »
Hello Forum,

can you advise on how to use Graphics in a laptop...

the machine has a bios setting about amount of graphics memory to share

16  to  512 megabytes options through that range.....

at the desktop the TASK manager shows TWO GPU's.........the "integrated Intel GPU" that i believe is embedded in the SKYLAKE CPU chip and has 1gb of dedicated memory of it's own.......so that's the "integrated graphiics" part of the motherboard which is mentioned in the bios since (they are both intel)  right....?

....but you are only offered 512 mb max to share in the bios.......why not the full 1gb it has?

also there is a dedicated ........NVIDIA GPU......  showing up with 2gb of dedicated memory

i can see the desktop tools offer you to choose a default GPU so i chose the best right?.....the NVIDIA

Also apps seem to allow you to right click them and select your preferred GPU to execute with them......

i am just trying to uderstand what is going on.......?...is the computer ever using BOTH at ONCE?......or what?

it certainly seems so .....the task manager shows that they both get real busy on google earth in Vivaldi browser since i have the flag "overide sw gpu, for HW " as enabled in "vivaldi://flags" web address....

.......so  i don't need to do anything just select my preferred one for each app then?

any advice........win 10 home 64 biit.......cpu skylake ...i5-6200u

intel hd graphics 520   1gb
nvidia gforce 920mx    2gb

is the latter really for games etc?....google earth?

thx
C

ASUS  x556u  Laptop  "sonic master" from 2016
« Last Edit: September 27, 2024, 05:57:26 PM by vinceASPECT »