WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Hardware  (Read 237 times)

Offline vinceASPECT

Hardware
« on: September 22, 2024, 05:46:47 AM »
Hello forum,

.....i just thought to share some info here incase it helps others...

apparently, ( and  i had no clue )  some brands of Laptop say from the last 10 years forward may NOT contain a CMOS flip out BATTERY ......which is feeding the bios clock....

........therefor, i know not HOW the machine retains time when you remove wall power other than it's OWN laptop battery...?......

.......and what happens if that laptop battery is flat?......perhaps it always reports "flat empty" at zero charge when it's actually ALMOST flat..........thus providing spare power for clock...?

other than that........ maybe there is an elaborate "capacitor idea" storing energy &  keeping clock ticking....?

....in any event, RE- SETTING the bios by removing the cmos battery won't apply here.....

...instead, to RESET BIOS the laptop here requires an elaborate trick ......
( a "hard bios reset" is not the same as just "restoring defaults" from the bios menus)

on this machine here , resetting the bios involves a tiny CODE wiritten on the motherboard behind a RAM CARD  slot........."js2401"..... next to that code are TWO tiiny contacts.........those contacts must be shorted out while power to the laptop is missing (that includes disconnecting it's internal laptop battery)  and then while "shorted out" you need to introduce wall power.
That will RESET the bios.....

i don't know if this is true for nearly all Laptop brands and machiines of 10 years or under age..........

why reset at all?......Hard resettng the bios can sometimes solve laptop issues...... but i won't be  trying it here since i plug in 2 external screens .........and i  don't actually need the laptops defective  screen

The above info may also go some way to  explaining why the laptop battery is not CLIP IN......and is infact NON REMOVABLE battery.....(hidden behind the laptops Rear case)

Thx
C

any ideas are welcome
« Last Edit: September 22, 2024, 06:19:09 AM by vinceASPECT »

Offline vinceASPECT

Re: Hardware
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2024, 07:23:01 AM »
or apparently a "hard bios reset" is achiieved by holding down the power button for 2 minutes.........either while the laptop battery is physically dissconected..... or NOT

hmmm

would assume ......the former....

Thx
C
« Last Edit: September 22, 2024, 07:27:37 AM by vinceASPECT »

Online gadget42

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2024, 08:05:24 AM »
did a DDG search for "hard reset" and "laptop" and there are many results.

here is just one that seems to support your conclusions/hypotheses:

https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/en-us/000139016/how-to-perform-hard-reset
The fluctuation theorem has long been known for a sudden switch of the Hamiltonian of a classical system Z54 . For a quantum system with a Hamiltonian changing from... https://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,25972.msg166580.html#msg166580

Offline vinceASPECT

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2024, 08:14:53 AM »
Sir,

thanks..........

.yeah, it even mentions  there, together in the same sentence
........."no video" to screen symptoms .....and "hard resetting" the bios  and the RTC clock.....

interesting...

C
« Last Edit: September 22, 2024, 08:16:44 AM by vinceASPECT »